Auto syphoning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostyp

Reaction score
Just purchased an auto syphon for racking beer from fermenter to my bottling bucket, the speed my wort is able to run through is now very quick , is it still ok to use for transferring wort into my bottling bucket with my sugar solution already in, is the speed likely to cause any issues always coiled tube in bucket and slowly racked across , please advice before I ruin a batch

No issue. Lots of people do it that way. As long as you don't see splashing or bubbles, you shouldn't worry about oxydation.

As far as the actual speed of the beer moving through the tube, I have never heard of any issue. I think it is a simple enough solution with a low enough viscosity that you don't have to worry about any rheological effects.

Coil the end of the siphon in the bottom of the bucket, start racking, and pour your sugar solution in while it is swirling. It will be well-mixed and unoxidized.

No problem at all. Just make sure you limit splashing to help prevent oxygenation.

Back