Auto Syphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torquaybrew

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just purchased one of these auto syphons after hearing good things and in the hope it would simplify my bottling process.
The idea is great but the clamp was not holding it in place and was constantly sliding down into the sediment making it really frustrating. I had to get my wife to hold the syphon to stop it sliding.
Has anyone else experienced this or is it just mine?

Regards

Matt

My siphon didn't come with a clamp, but the clip that I bought later holds it on place just fine.
Can you post a picture of what you have?

Hi, I've tried attaching a photo but it doesn't want to work. It's a standard looking clamp that fits over the tube and then clips over the bucket rim. It just doesn't seem tight enough to get a good grip. Only thing I can think is to loop an elastic band around the tube so it stops the tube sliding through the clamp.

Mine doesn't clip to a bucket very well either.

You will find they clip to a carboy lip great and hold it nice and study.

Hi, I've tried attaching a photo but it doesn't want to work. It's a standard looking clamp that fits over the tube and then clips over the bucket rim. It just doesn't seem tight enough to get a good grip. Only thing I can think is to loop an elastic band around the tube so it stops the tube sliding through the clamp.

I would stick a layer of duct tape or plastic electrical tape on the inside of the clamp. That should tighten it up.

I have 2 different sized Autosiphons and the clamps are tight on both, but I rarely use it any more. I bag my hops so my trub layer is not too deep. I can put the siphon to the bottom and it will not get any trub.

My siphon didn't come with a clamp, but the clip that I bought later holds it on place just fine.
Can you post a picture of what you have?

my auto siphon did not come with a clamp either and it is rather frustrating to have the tube slide instead of pumping the wort, or whatever you are transferring. a small spring loaded clamp might work but remember you are working with glass.

You can upload a photo directly from your computer is it is resized to be less than 900 × 900 pixels.

Click the Attachments icon in the reply box. Go to the photo location on your computer in the "Manage Attachments" box which pops up. Choose your file and click upload. Upload progress is shown at the bottom of this screen. The uploaded file can be viewed in the preview.

I stuck a thick rubber band around my siphon to keep it from sliding down into the carboy. Maybe there's something similar you can rig with the clip.
Look around the house for some ingenuity.

Back