Auto syphon problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Hartley

Reaction score
MY AS works fine for the 1st 3/4 of a bucket but starts sucking air the last 1/4.
I've tried repumping it & it picks up for a little bit & then starts sucking air again.
Any ideas?

The hose is plenty tight, hard to get on.
I'll check for a hole or crack tomorrow.

thanks for the help.

++ on SuperiorBrew ^

My hose from the autosipon usually develops a small bubble of air where it attaches to the cane. If you slowly pinch the air bubble out of the hose towards the cane it resolves this.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

Had the same problem, if you just put one of those plastic hoseclamps on the cane end it will eliminate that. 1-2 good pushes and a solid line of beer. What a wonderful sight.....

malkore said:
and plenty of vertical distance between the source bucket and destination?

Yeah I experienced that phenomenon when I first started kegging. Since the cornies are a bit higher than the carboys and I put the source bucket on my toilet seat lid in the spare bathroom... as the corny got to the top it was reaching the same vertical height as the bottom of the bucket and just stopped going. At first I was like WTF? :drunk: Then I figured that one out. :eek:

malkore said:
and plenty of vertical distance between the source bucket and destination?
I have the primary on the kitchen table or counter about 3'- 3.5' & the carboy or bottles on the floor.
Is this enough height?

Beer Lover said:
Had the same problem, if you just put one of those plastic hoseclamps on the cane end it will eliminate that. 1-2 good pushes and a solid line of beer. What a wonderful sight.....

Are you talking about clamping the hose to the cane?
I have some small tie wraps that would probably work but the hose is pretty tight on the cane as is.

I was playing around with the pump in the kitchen sink last night. I can't see any holes or cracks in the tube but when the water level gets down in the sink it looks like some air might be leaking past the seal inside. Once the bubbles start there is a steady stream of little bubbles. If I pinch & release the tube the bubbles stop for a time but then restart
Again it's only when the water level get down so maybe there just isn't enough height differential as someone suggested. From bottom on kitchen sink to the floor is probably 3'.

I have had an autosiphon simply wear out. The inner seal got worn and it began to suck air. Only solution was to replace it. Not a big deal, I keep the old one around in case I crack the new one.

I also had the bubble in the air line issue at the point where the cane and the hose connected. I have found using some lube on the end of the cane helps keep the bubble from forming and keeps it from being impossible to remove the hose. I use CIP Film, which melts at 120 degrees for easy clean up.

Gedvondur

Keith Hartley said:
I have the primary on the kitchen table or counter about 3'- 3.5' & the carboy or bottles on the floor.
Is this enough height?

as long as the top of carboy on the floor is lower than the bottom of the primary on the table, yep, that's enough.

the bottom of the source must be at least 1" above the top of the destination, or you'll reach equilibrium.

Thanks for the help guys.
I think the seal is faulty in the pump. I talked to the person at the store were I purchased it & he said to bring it back.

Back