Auto-Siphon Pros and Cons

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madewithchicken

Reaction score
It seems to me that I got a long fine before I learned about the auto-siphon.

I broke my auto-siphon when cleaning it. The little plastic piece (I guess you may call it a valve) popped out. I had used it 4 times I think.

Now I just fill a cane and hose with water and clamp it. Place the cane (with one of those black tips) in the beer and let the clamp go. This has only changed slightly since I have started brewing. We used to just use hose.

I guess i use one of those red clips to hold the racking cane in place.

Aside from the desire to own as many gadgets as possible, which I share, why use an auto-siphon?

Because it takes 2 seconds to start a siphon instead of filling with water, clamping etc.

Because they are simple to use. I do think that the quality of the autosiphon could definately be improved. My first one developed cracks on the side and I'm pretty damn careful with it. I'd like to see a heavier plastic or stainless version.

Because there's no need to mess with water, not needing to suck the end to start a siphon, it's quick to get a siphon going, and it is easy to sanitize and clean...yadda yadda yadda...

I mean, 2 pumps and a siphon is started... why wouldn't you use one, especially for 10 bucks?

I too have trouble with the autosiphon. I have broken 2 of them. My brother has broken one, and my BIL has broken one. Carboy cap method is vastly superior in my opinion. That technique has no bubble problems, no gaskets to wear out, and no cheap plastic (if you use a SS cane). It just all-round better IMHO.

Two years and my auto siphon has done nothing but work perfectly. Now a buddy of mine in that same amount of time has gone through 2 of them. Treat it right and it'll treat you right I guess.

my auto siphon got a bit warped from heat but it still is still straight enough to hold siphon and not obstruct movement for the cane. I consider the best 14 dollars I've spent.

I threw mine away recently, along with every other piece of plastic (Except for corny quick disconnects...) that touches my beer. From what beers were infected I think it was the auto-siphon (Some I didn't use it on since I was transferring from my Primary corny to kegorator corny). I liked it while it lasted though.

cons: $12

I've broken 3 or 4, but if you just run hot water on the point where the hose connects to the cane they seperate easily.

I would like an all glass one though, that would be sweet.

Because it takes 2 seconds to start a siphon instead of filling with water, clamping etc.

Okay, it takes 2 seconds to put the hose up to the sink faucet and clamp it. And another second to put in the beer. So 3 seconds total.

As far as sucking, I would never do that. The carboy cap looks like a good idea. I would just be afraid that spit got in the beer. I have thought of drilling a second hole in my bucket lids so they can be used like a carboy cap.

Had one for two years, never remove the tubing, clean with sanitizer and water after use, no problems ever. Just bought the larger sized one, man, it makes life even easier!

I have used the same auto-siphon for over 6 years. No trouble yet. I'm also on my first hydrometer and wine thief. I guess I'm just careful? Probably it's luck. My hydrometer and 6.5 gallon carboys have both had close calls. They should have shattered but they've lived to see another brew.

I knew it was a bad idea to tout my 6 year success. I broke my auto-siphon on Saturday. The racking cane cracked at the 90 degree bend.

Found a crack in mine last night.

Used it anyway, no problems.

I won't sweat buying a new one. I like it just because its cheap and easy to use!

I also found my thief had a crack in it :(

Buying a new one this week and i'm going to stop putting them on the top shelf where its a longer fall to the floor.

I love my autosiphon. I'm getting ready to buy the little guy for my 1 G batches. Broke the first one, but that was my fault. I was using it to vent a carboy while dumping it, and cracked it right in half.

I bought my first one a few weeks ago, and so far used it on three brews. For some reason on two of the batches the siphon would just stop for no apparent reason. I'd restart it, it will go fine for about 2 minutes then just slow to a stop again. Maybe something to do with the one way valve in the bottom? It's very aggravating and I'll probably go back to the regular old racking cane from now on.

I bought my first one a few weeks ago, and so far used it on three brews. For some reason on two of the batches the siphon would just stop for no apparent reason. I'd restart it, it will go fine for about 2 minutes then just slow to a stop again. Maybe something to do with the one way valve in the bottom? It's very aggravating and I'll probably go back to the regular old racking cane from now on.

Try putting one of these plastic hose clamp over the hose where you put it on the tube.

SNP-10.jpg

my auto-siphon must have had a bad seal to the hose and I kept losing my siphon and had to keep pumping the auto-siphon to regain suction/siphon. do you think that my batch is going to be to aerated after this?

Here is my solution for breaking and cracking

Its the proto type I build a while back but material cost and lathe time you can buy a few plastic ones.

MVC-734S-1.jpg

MVC-732S-1.jpg

Dominus Vobiscum

Swagman:cool:

Here is my solution for breaking and cracking

Its the proto type I build a while back but material cost and lathe time you can buy a few plastic ones.

Dominus Vobiscum

Awesome! I don't think I'd pony up the cash for one, but very cool. If you use silicone O-rings you could even use this to transfer to a CFC out of a boil kettle.

Wonder if I could make use of a Sankey dip tube in a similar fashion...

my auto-siphon must have had a bad seal to the hose and I kept losing my siphon and had to keep pumping the auto-siphon to regain suction/siphon. do you think that my batch is going to be to aerated after this?

Try putting one of these plastic hose clamp over the hose where you put it on the tube.

SNP-10.jpg

The hose clamp should work, or they could just use the correct hose. The autosiphon takes 5/16" hose as opposed to 3/8" which seems to be the typical racking hose.

That is awesome Swagman.

Revvy,
My auto-siphon sucked air when I used that clamp you posted above but one of the SS clamps worked fine. That's the clamp the the HBS suggested with the auto-siphon but my one experience using it was not good. Of course, I discovered it the first time I used it and it was mid-rack...fun times.

I still have my SS racking cane with the little holder that clamps onto a carboy bung and it works a charm...but the auto-siphon is a bit easier so I've been using it.

They can make plastics uber-hard these days so they should be able to make reasonably heavy-duty ones.

Oh my god, SO COOL!!!!!

We had a thread about making a metal one a month ago, and it sorta went no where!

:mug:

The real hard part was the piston DI. and coming up with the two check valves on in the piston and the outer tube.

Just away to spend cold winter afternoon

Dominus Vobiscum

The hose clamp should work, or they could just use the correct hose. The autosiphon takes 5/16" hose as opposed to 3/8" which seems to be the typical racking hose.

I also just had a leak siphoning the other day... I cut 2" off the hose, and it sealed better. I guess the hose end had gotten a little stretched from repeated use.

I bought one a few weeks ago, used it twice and took it back to the LHBS. I thought the thing sucked. It was taking me twenty minutes to rack 5 gallons, not well spent time in my opinion. Starting the siphon was easy, but i found that it just aggravated me more than anything. I like using the 1/2" ID hosing, so I'm going to try using a Turkey Baster to get my siphon started from now on.

Flame On!!:mug:

After having yet another auto-siphon develop cracks today, I'm done with them. I'll buy a SS racking cane and use Flyguy's siphon starter method, or the simple water method.

Pieces of crap.

I'm pretty fond of the auto-siphons myself. I broke the 3/8" one I had (my fault) and replaced it with a 1/2" one.

I have found that using an auto-siphon with extra tubing and a hose clamp leads to cleaning issues, sanitation issues, and eventually cracking the racking cane. I'm getting sick of buying new autosiphons as well. I'm going to make a SS racking cane at work tomorrow. Depending on what I have for materials, I may have some for sale on the classifieds...

Drawbacks to autosiphon? It's plastic so it melts and cracks. Tried the Flyguys T-siphon kind of a pain. Practiced racking with t-siphon using star san going from fermenter to fermenter and it was too unreliable to use with wort. I know others have had luck with it, congrats.

The SS autosiphon is a great idea and whoever gets it to the market first will be a wealthy man.

I broke my auto-siphon when cleaning it. The little plastic piece (I guess you may call it a valve) popped out.
It's not broke, just take a piece of tubing or something, put it on the end and slide it up there...it will pop back into place good as new.

It's not broke, just take a piece of tubing or something, put it on the end and slide it up there...it will pop back into place good as new.

No trust me it is broke now. After trying pretty mush what you described for awhile I threw it at the wall.

Had my autosiphon for two years, and I love it. Came with my kit from MW...it's a Fermtech, I think. If they went off the market, I would have to make one. Do NOT want to have to siphon manually.

Back