Austin, TX - where to move to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
For those HBT'ers in the Austin area, I need some advice on where to relocate. My wife and I plan on retiring to Texas as soon as I can reach a retirement stage, which is still a few years away. But I began thinking about it today with more seriousness b/c of this:

Gov. Quinn Threatens 50% Income Tax Hike. Per today's Trib:
Gov. Pat Quinn on Monday played the doomsday card in his battle for a 50 percent state income tax hike, warning that opposition by lawmakers could force billions of dollars of "slash and burn" cuts in health care, education and law enforcement.

But Senate President John Cullerton (D-Chicago) said Quinn had yet to make a compelling case for the increase and was compensating with scare tactics.
I'm so sick of paying Cook County taxes, paying the highest rate for gasoline in the US and getting taxed to death by a bloated state government that cannot reign in it's spending and create a realistic budget.
icon_mad.gif
Nicer weather and NO state income tax in Texas.

Anyway, I was born in Austin, still love the place and my parents are retired and living in Georgetown. My wife fell in love with the place on our previous visits to see my folks. But it's been a long time since I have lived there.

My questions is, where is a decent place to relocate? Looking at the best bang-for-the-buck when it comes to affordable housing, shopping, ammenities, views (lakes, woods, etc.) and, of course, good brewing water! :D. My parents are fairly young, so I don't need to be very close to them. In fact, it might be better that I am not too close!;) Schools aren't a big concern, as we'll have no school age kids by then. Homes we can afford would probably be in the $230,000-$260,000 range. Thanks!

The problem is that you live in Cook County.

Seriously. If you want to move back, I would suggest somewhere near Lake Travis. It is built up more than it used to be, but there are some nice golf courses and there's always the lake.

My sister lives in Round Rock now and it's okay, but she misses living over by Zilker Park/Barton Springs.

The problem is that you live in Cook County.

Seriously. If you want to move back, I would suggest somewhere near Lake Travis. It is built up more than it used to be, but there are some nice golf courses and there's always the lake.

My sister lives in Round Rock now and it's okay, but she misses living over by Zilker Park/Barton Springs.
Yeah, and the other problem is, I live in Illinois.;) I've lived in DuPage and Will counties and, IMHO, they ain't much better... The state of the state's politics has me fed up. But more importantly, we're ready for the move. Ideally, I'd like to have a small summer place here. Maybe if I win the lottery.

Round Rock might be too close to my folks. I don't golf, but I like your thinking on Barton Springs. Didn't know the current outlook on housing there, though. I'm putting it on the list.

I grew up in Georgetown. Was boring growing up there and even so visiting. For some reason it really sucks the life out of me. Nice lake and rivers though. Good parks.

If I moved back to Austin it would have to be West of Loop 1.

...If I moved back to Austin it would have to be West of Loop 1.
I'm wondering if that's going to be the consensus? West Lake Hills, Rollingwood or even as far as Bee Cave or Dripping Springs? My main concern is housing prices. In fact, we may end up renting our first year until we know exactly where we want to live.

I grew up in Rollingwood. It was awesome. Buy my old house!

It has a mother-in-law suite that you could convert into your brew house.
hatley.jpg

hatley2.jpg

Nevermind, did a google search and it looks to be estimated @$980K

Here's another one in the area.
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/413-Brady-Ln-West-Lake-Hills-TX-78746/29330341_zpid/

Other listings:
http://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...7.777297,30.266235,-97.798782_rect/13_zm/1_p/

Looks like Westlake Hills is going to be more in your price range than Rollingwood.

I'm wondering if that's going to be the consensus? West Lake Hills, Rollingwood or even as far as Bee Cave or Dripping Springs? My main concern is housing prices. In fact, we may end up renting our first year until we know exactly where we want to live.

I lived in Austin for several years before settling here in SM. I lived various places inside the Loop and hated it. Traffic everywhere is horrible. Almost every single person I know has had some crime, mostly car burglaries, some in their driveway. You get to hang out with your choice of illegal immigrants, nutjobs, Yuppies or Yippies. People seem to like it though, lots of people think Austin is a Mecca but I found living North of Ben White and East of Loop 1 irritating.

You're making me depressed about my place of residence.
Sorry, Slimer. Look at it this way... at least we have some really good brewpubs and beer stores nearby. When I move, I'll be craving my monthly Flossmoor Station fix.

Like Keith said, somewhere west of loop 1. We're on this side because it's cheap, this is our first house, but we would much rather be over there.

My vote would be somewhere in the Bee Cave area. Though it's gonna be tough to get anything under $400K out that way, I think, unless you are in the sticks.

If you come out to scope things out be sure to plan to drop in on a Zealots meeting downtown at the G-man. :rockin:

Out here in Bee Cave we have space and ammenities and low city property tax due to the sales tax base. My neighborhood is about 30 years old, established and has acreage home sites ranging from 1 to 8 acres, but we are still 30 minutes from downtown. There are lots of new homes being built farther out west on highway 71. I brew with LCRA water and it makes good beer without adding anything. The Hill Country Home Brew Club meets at Little Woodrow's where there are 33 taps on the wall and over 100 in bottles. My old neighborhood and where I live now have annual homebrew festivals.

Drop me a PM when you are house hunting, and I'll give you a cooks tour. We do have stuff for under 400K out here if you know where to look.

I have relatives that live on South Brodie and it's a pretty nice area. Quick access to downtown, low crime, shopping, eateries.

We will probably move back to Austin for the school system in the next five years and will be looking West of Loop 1.

If your looking to retire Georgetown is nice. Low crime and very controlling LEO force. After 9 the streets are dead. Lake, rivers, lots of parks, local shopping, cheap houses. Very Conservative.

We get rid of Lyin Ryan, Bloggo and now we are gettin higher taxes....when will it end?
Never.

Today my wife has been cruising the Internet and seems to be leaning towards Round Rock and what looks to be a new subdivision in Kyle called Plum Creek.

Back