Aussie mead making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MoniQ

Reaction score
Hi guys
Just a couple of questions on making mead in Australia.
Is it necesarry to use single flora honey and also is it necesarry to use sulphite in the must.
I want to use raw honey and I do love the complexity of Australian multiflora honey.
Is mid summer a bit hot for mead making in oz?
I live in sub tropical brisbane
very hot and humid
Please excuse my ignorance did try researching and these are the questions I'm left with
MoniQ

Hi, welcome to the forum!
Is it necesarry to use single flora honey
Nope. Go with whatever honey you like.
is it necesarry to use sulphite in the must.
Nope, but it does have its uses.
Is mid summer a bit hot for mead making
Depends on your yeast. Cooler temp is often better, however some yeasts don't mind the heat. How hot are we talking?

Make small batches to start while you learn :)

I always wrap a wet cold towel around my fermentations as a general rule until initial fermentation has stopped; ruined one batch of ale from high temps before. And this is in temperate Pennsylvania, so that goes double for tropical climates. Good luck!

Hi MoniQ. I'm also in Brisbane so I have researched the same questions as you.
I would have fun experimenting with as many different types of honey as you can - we do have some excellent varieties going around.
I don't use sulphites in my must because (as I understand it) if you take care of the sanitising aspect you shouldn't get too many nasties in there.
I think the main thing you will need to get right is the temperature control. In Brissie the temps will sit around 90 f for half of the year and I'm not sure any yeast will last through that. I bought a fridge for $20 from EBay and bought a temp controller. My must sits at around 60 f (16 c) the whole year round. So far I've had good results.

Good luck,
Steve

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Nope. Go with whatever honey you like.

Nope, but it does have its uses.

Depends on your yeast. Cooler temp is often better, however some yeasts don't mind the heat. How hot are we talking?

Make small batches to start while you learn :)
Thanks RPh guy
Uses that are pertinent to longer storing?
Want to store for a while to get the best flavour profile
(best intentions)
Yeast I have can go to 35°
Ec 1118 lalvin
we regularly hang around 35° for weeks and can go well past that too
Nights 26°
90 percent humidity for days
have air con tho and it gets used believe me.
25-28° when that's on
Got a 5l carboy
Thanks again
great help!
MoniQ

Hi MoniQ. I'm also in Brisbane so I have researched the same questions as you.
I would have fun experimenting with as many different types of honey as you can - we do have some excellent varieties going around.
I don't use sulphites in my must because (as I understand it) if you take care of the sanitising aspect you shouldn't get too many nasties in there.
I think the main thing you will need to get right is the temperature control. In Brissie the temps will sit around 90 f for half of the year and I'm not sure any yeast will last through that. I bought a fridge for $20 from EBay and bought a temp controller. My must sits at around 60 f (16 c) the whole year round. So far I've had good results.

Good luck,
Steve
That's so great thanks Steve.
That'll be really helpfull from your experience brewing in Brissy. I just figured I'd just do it in winter - but that fridge idea is great!
Thanks again
MoniQ

K1-V1116 might be good for those temps. It and EC-1118 produce sulfites, so you probably wouldn't need to add them.

I also use a fridge plus inkbird controller to maintain steady fermentation temperature.

K1-V1116 might be good for those temps. It and EC-1118 produce sulfites, so you probably wouldn't need to add them.

I also use a fridge plus inkbird controller to maintain steady fermentation temperature.

Rph guy
thanks again will definately be looking at fridge idea

Gratefull and appreciative
MoniQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi RPh guy SKbugs.
What about the malic and tartaric acids and the grape tannin my recipe calls for? A requirement?
(Sweet mead for me)
Also airating the mixture with a drill attachment?
Are these all valid? I get the airation importance- everyone needs oxygen!
I had planned to start today (the honey is sitting in the sun warming up) but i am mixerless till tomorrow - I don't believe I can shake the bottle enough for airation with my own steam power

Last edited:
I always wrap a wet cold towel around my fermentations as a general rule until initial fermentation has stopped; ruined one batch of ale from high temps before. And this is in temperate Pennsylvania, so that goes double for tropical climates. Good luck!
Thankyou!
We are in the middle of our winter but have had a week of daytime temps of 25° to 26° !
Our winters are realy only a month orso long these last years. The towel will help till I get the fridge.
Maybe I can only brew in winter

Hi RPh guy SKbugs.
What about the malic and tartaric acids and the grape tannin my recipe calls for? A requirement?
Also airating the mixture with a drill attachment?
Are these all valid? I get the airation importance- everyone needs oxygen!
I had planned to start today (the honey is sitting in the sun warming up) but i am mixerless till tomorrow - I don't believe I can shake the bottle enough for airation with my own steam power
Acid blend and tannin are to taste. Neither is a "requirement". You certainly don't need to add them at the beginning.
You can wait until it's finished fermenting. If it's too flabby, add some acid. If it's too thin, add some tannin. ...Or whatever you want.
I think it would help to try it without the additions and then see what each one adds to the flavor & structure.
Also, adding acid early puts unnecessary stress on the yeast.

Aerating is an important part of meadmaking. Typically you'll want to aerate a couple times a day for the first week or until one-third sugar depletion. Aeration also removes CO2, which is toxic to yeast.

With any fermented product it's important to have patience. I would wait 'til you have everything you need.

Cheers

I agree with RPHguy. I've only made a few meads and haven't added acid to any, mainly because I haven't found any I've made to be too sweet. Same with tannin. In both cases you can add in the second rack if you want.
Aerating is the key to having healthy yeasties. Again RPHguy has summed it up nicely.
My advice is to try mead in its basic form and work out what you like from there.

Thanks again you guys
Really- a lot of great advice that I will take on board
I only have every fortnight weekend to get my gear ready and make mead as i work every other weekend- so I need to get a wiggle on before it gets too hot again - winter seems to be leaving us rapidly. The only way round this is the fridge idea
There is a lot of different info out there- my recipe book calls for a range of additives other than honey water and yeast and yeast nutrient.
I have been making ķombucha for over a year and and also do pickling and a familiar fermentation in that way.
I keep Australian native stingless bees too and
Just adore honey so this is my next logical step.
Thanks again
MoniQ

Attachments

• 20180803_105641.jpg
    20180803_105641.jpg
    834.9 KB · Views: 43
Back