Auburn University Homebrewer Survey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhoobarb

Reaction score
I got this in my email from the AHA and thought it would be a good thing to share. Worthwhile, IMHO. Here is what they sent me:

The American Homebrewers Association is assisting an Auburn University study on homebrewing as a "Serious Leisure Pursuit" in the United States.

In the interest of getting the most representative and reliable the data we can, we encourage as many homebrewers as possible to participate in the study by filling out a brief survey. Please read this informational letter pertaining to the research and if you agree to participate, you can click through to the anonymous online survey.

Your participation is entirely voluntary. Total time commitment is approximately 15 minutes and there are no known risks associated with participating in this study. The survey delivery software will not collect email or IP addresses and/or any other identification markers.

The survey site will remain open through April 30, though we would greatly appreciate it if you could complete the survey in a timely manner.

Please feel free to forward this message on to any other homebrewers you know.

Results from the study will be posted on the AHA website and to the AHA TechTalk forum once they have been compiled.

Thank you for supporting this study.

I did it. I was waiting for the April Fool's gag, but lucky for you it didn't materialize. Some odd questions on that survey though.

Any way to see their results when the study is done? I realize it could take awhile for them to analyze all the data, especially if a significant number of users on this site fill it out.

I'd just like to see the conclusions they draw from the survey.

EDIT: and I just re-read your post. I'm an idiot.

I filled it out after it was sent to my LHBC list. I thought it was funny that they suggest people brew for the workout. I lift carboys, I guess, but I'm not gonna kid myself here.

haha I liked all the questions about physical health. Since I've started home brewing I've actually started working out more just so I can drink more often ;d

Not a bad survey.

Do people really brew to relieve stress. My brew days are normally an auditory assault of senseless profanities.

I hate the process but love the result.

Not a bad survey.

Do people really brew to relieve stress. My brew days are normally an auditory assault of senseless profanities.

I hate the process but love the result.

Yes and no...I'm usually pretty tired by the end, but it does have the effect of relieving stress. The process itself is eustress, as opposed to distress.

I have a habit of letting myself get riled up over nothing, like 'oh no I didn't sanitize yet ahhh!' My last brewday was pure relaxation though, so I think now that I'm getting my processes down the stress is going away.

Do people really brew to relieve stress.
Some of those questions were worded two or more different ways and the way they were worded made all the difference in the answer.

Do you brew to relieve stress?
No...I brew because I like to brew.

Does brewing help you to relieve stress?
Hell yes.

Back