Auber timer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amurphyz

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone have an Auber timer they are currently running that you put the momentary pause and reset button on? Just wondering if having the pause and reset buttons is a bling factor, or if you generally use one, both, or none. If you do use both push bottoms, or one for that matter I'd like to know so I can change my control panel layout before cutting my holes, don't want it to look like an afterthought. Thanks guys!

I did see it had a pause, and reset button both, I guess I didn't know if there was an advantage on having panel mounted momentary switches or not. Thanks again guys

The separate pause and reset buttons are more suited for timers that don't have them on the front panel of the timer, such as the Omega timers. I use the Auber timer and use the pause and reset buttons on the timer all the time.

10-4, thanks, kinda figured it was not needed, but that's the great thing about the forum, usually you put it out there and someone has already been down that road, thank you.

I have my Auber timer connected to a three position switch. I have it set up so the timer simply runs in the center position. I have PAUSE to the left and RESET to the right. I like it.

I got about 15 lbs of Cutler Hammer operators and contact blocks for 30 cents a pound about 15 years ago. I knew all that junk would come in handy some day.

Awesome idea, less space on the panel too, as far as the "junk" parts go, I hear you, just can't get my wife to buy into me keeping stuff! Thanks for the idea

skipper1953 said:
I have my Auber timer connected to a three position switch. I have it set up so the timer simply runs in the center position. I have PAUSE to the left and RESET to the right. I like it.

I got about 15 lbs of Cutler Hammer operators and contact blocks for 30 cents a pound about 15 years ago. I knew all that junk would come in handy some day.

I don't have much experience with this timer but it seems you have to hold the pause button on the face? That doesn't seem very useful for our application. Pause and reset are held in your switch example right? That's a good idea.

I don't have much experience with this timer but it seems you have to hold the pause button on the face? That doesn't seem very useful for our application. Pause and reset are held in your switch example right? That's a good idea.

Correct. That is why I opted for the switch. On/Off/On. Beats holding in a button.

Here's what I do with that timer. I have a 2-position switch with both a NO and a NC contact block. The NO contacts are wired to the timer alarm relay, and the NC contacts are wired between COM and PAUSE on the timer. When the switch is turned to the left, then it's "paused", when you turn the switch to the right, then it's "unpaused" and when it hits 0, will set off the alarm. I found that even when PAUSE'ed you can still program the desired time.

In operation then, say I want to set a 60 minute boil timer. Since switch is turned left, timer is just sitting there - I use the Select & Up buttons to set the 60 minute delay, and then wait 10 seconds, after which the timer sets this delay - but it does not start counting down yet since it's Paused. When the wort reaches boil I just turn the switch to the right and the timer starts counting down, and of course the alarm goes off when it hits zero. I then turn the switch to the left to turn off the alarm.

So in reality, since I already have a switch to the left of the timer used to shut the alarm off, and that switch has NO/NC contact blocks on it, to achieve what you are doing, I literally have to wire the NC contact block to the relay and com blocks and place another label on and be done with it right? Sounds good to me, and if that doesn't suit my liking, I swap that out for a 3 position switch and can have pause, off (timer normal) reset. On the 2 position switch, you just reset manually on the timer correct? Thanks again guys! Mounting switches today, so this was a huge help, either way I go I won't have to reconfigure my control panel layout to accommodate 2 more push button switches, awesome!

Ok re-reading I got my wiring wrong in my explanation, but I knew what I meant! Thanks again!

Out of curiosity, is the pause button used that frequently? I've always just let my timer keep running the entire time. A few minutes off usually isn't a problem. I'm planning on using the Auber timers in my panel and now I'm wondering if it would be useful to have the pause switch/button.

For you guys using the Auber timer with your control panels - have you considered the Auber SWA-2451? This PID has a built in timer. I use one on my RIMS tube for Mash time and use it again when boiling my wort to time when to add hops. Just a thought. It adds about $10 for the PID, it's cheaper than the $35 for the timer. No pause though...

I was just looking at the SWA-2451 for my new setup, do you like it? It functions just like the 2352 other than having the timer, correct? It might be the way I go rather than the $35 and more space taken up by a dedicated timer.

When in timer mode the time is displayed instead of the SETPONT VALUE and when in manual mode the timer is not functional. This second point would make we want to use the SWA-2451 on my HLT and RIMS tube instead of my RIMS tube and BK. If I ever do back to back batches I would need 2 timers - 1 for the mash and 1 for the boil additions. Other than that, these PIDS work just fine. I like them and the manual is pretty easy to understand.

Hope this helps.

I'm up in the air over using the SWA-2451 PID versus using a separate timer. I like the idea of having the timer built in, but think it might be a little less intuitive since you are timing the boil from the HLT PID.

In regards to the Auber timer, if you are not concerned w/ pausing wouldn't a reset button take the place of an alarm on/off? If not can someone explain the difference?

I have installed timer reset buttons on my rig. It works just as expected. With the circuit open, the timer is stopped/reset to the preset timer configuration (count up or down, minutes or seconds, and heater on or off when timer expires). Close the circuit and the timer starts. Open the circuit and the timer/alarm stops and resets.

In regards to the Auber timer, if you are not concerned w/ pausing wouldn't a reset button take the place of an alarm on/off? If not can someone explain the difference?

My thoughts are that since the Auber timer has a built in reset button, an additional one isn't necessary. If anything, maybe a pause switch would be nice since you have to hold the Auber pause button in to keep it paused. I don't tend to stop my timer so I'm just sticking with the alarm switch.

I built my rig with an alarm indicator and a momentary switch for the reset from auber. I wish I would have gotten a maintained-contact switch and used it as a pause instead. The only way I have to turn off the alarm is to press the reset button, which also begins counting again.

I went with a seperate PID and Timer because when the PID is in Manual mode (during boil) I want to use the timer as a countdown so I don't have to watch a clock.

Back