Atwater brewery vanilla java porter clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n240sxguy

Reaction score
Anybody have a good guess at a recipe for something similar to this beer? This is the first time my wife has ever wanted me to make a specific beer, and I want it to be awesome. It's for her brother to try at Christmas. He said he loves this beer.

Can't say that I'm farmiliar with Atwaters beer, but you could search for a clone recipe. Have you tried Jamil Z's CanYou Brew It?
I have 5 gals of EdWorts (Here on HBT) Robust Porter finishing the primary now. I had planned on adding vanilla bean to half and coffee extract to half. Then I would blend the two back for 3 different Porters.
I just decided that the batches would be too small and I need to go ahead and brew up another 5 gals...

I did a little searching and didn't find anything like it, but I haven't exhausted all resources yet.

Can you describe it to me? I've never had it, and want to make something somewhat close to it for my brother in law.

It's a very light tasting porter nothing heavy at all. It has a preety good vanilla and coffee mix neither is more up front. The only things I know for sure about the recipe is that they use cold steeped coffee and real vanilla extract at bottling and not vanilla beans. And hop taste is slight to non existent with just a slight bitter taste. It's all about the coffee and vanilla.

Thanks. That gets me a step closer to a recipe, and knocks my previous porter recipe out. It was thick as syrup.

Im actually attempting one right now.
recipe

8 oz crystal 60L
4 oz black patent
4 oz chocolate malt
6 lbs dark dme
1 oz cluster hops 60 mins
1 oz willimette 5 min
london wyeast
put 3-5 split vanilla beans in vodka to steralize and promote flavor an add to secondary
cold brew 4-8 oz of coffee of choice for 1-2 days and add to secondary
any other questions let me know

I just finished my batch. It was perfect. I don't think I'll change a thing other than maybe mess with different kinds of coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So.....what did your recipe look like? How did you introduce the coffee and vanilla?
Thx

10 gallon batch

23 lb us 6 row
1 lb caramel 60
1 lb black malt
1 lb chocolate malt
2 oz Kent Golding - 60 minutes
.5 oz Kent Golding - 30 minutes
2 oz Fuggle - 2 minutes
Estimated 24.2 IBU's
Fermented with S-04

Coffee was Kroger Private Selection. 12oz Sumatra and 12oz Kona cold brewed for 2 days in 3 quarts of distilled water. I used 60 ml of homemade vanilla that I had made a few months earlier with 8 Madagascar vanilla beans and 16 oz of vodka. I added the coffee and vanilla a day before I kegged and bottled.
It fermented down to 1.011 yielding 6.8% abv before being watered down a little with the coffee.

Sounds delicious! Can I ask one more question about the vanilla? The extract you added was essentially infused vodka? Or did you add some beans as well?

Thx again

I cut and scraped the beans, and cut them into inch long pieces, then soaked all that in the vodka for a few months. I took the pieces out, but the middle that I scraped is still in the extract jar. That's all store bought extract really is anyway. It is pitch black, and smells heavenly. Just like vanilla extract should be.

I think I'm gonna have to brew this up. I love this beer and so do all my friends.

Sent from my iPhone

My recipe was atwater on steroids. It has more body, and all flavors are enhanced.

I followed this blog post to make a vanilla java porter (http://www.beanilla.com/blog/java-vanilla-porter). My wife really likes the Atwater VJP, so she found that. I used the java porter kit from Great Fermentations, and then sourced the vanilla beans locally from a spice store. The recipe kit instructions called for a coarse grind of the coffee beans, and then add them directly to the secondary. I added the vanilla beans and ground coffee to a muslin bag and dropped it in the fermenter. I don't know that it is Atwater VJP, I never did a direct comparison, but it ended up being a good beer. The coffee flavor was appropriate IMO, not too strong and not too weak, and my wife really liked it.

So I want to brew this beer but maybe make it a little more robust. I like VJP but it is kind of...easy drinking and light. I am thinking that I want the final version to be like guiness vs. guiness extra stout.
What would you guys do to make this brew a little more robust?

Last edited:
How would this taste without the coffee? ( not a big fan of coffee )

So I want to brew this beer but maybe make it a little more robust. I like VJP but it is kind of...easy drinking and light. I am thinking that I want the final version to be like guiness vs. guiness extra stout.
What would you guys do to make this brew a little more robust?

Post #12 is the recipe I used. It was more robust than the Atwater vjp it was based on, so I would go with it. I thought it was great.

I haven't made any beer in a while. 4 kids will do that to you. I liked the recipe as it was, and didn't think it needed any changes. Good luck.

Back