Attention Ohio growers - is it rhizome planting time? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adagiogray

Reaction score
....or not quite yet?

I will be growing for the first time this year. I just ordered 2 rhizomes each of Nugget, Cascade, Mt. Hood, and Willamette from http://www.freshops.com .
I'm pretty confident we're past our last frost here in central Ohio, but is it warm enough at night consistently to plant safely? Or would I be exposing the rhizomes to unnecessary risk?

I was planning to rent a tiller/trencher/thingamabob from Lowe's this weekend to bust up my hard clay dirt ridden with rose of sharon roots, get some sandy loam and manure from Strader's, and get the dirt in the ground and let it rest a week or 2 before planting.

Yikes- looks like it's dropping to 29 tonight. And still some nights in the 30s and 40s for the next couple of weeks. Ok.... Umm.... Should I delay to mid april? :)

I planted mine here in Michigan. The home brew guys said they can handle a light frost from their experience. Got mine from fresh hops too. Already starting to pop up. We had 30 degrees last night everything still going good. March and April are the right times to plant. I would put them in ASAP.

Thanks - think I will! I read on one site that your nights shouldn't be dropping below 50 before planting, but most others just say late march-early june is planting time. We shall see! :)

My LHBS gave a class on hops growing and gave out free samples of rhizomes. The owner grows a lot of hops. Got three different types. Planted about a month ago and they have all sprouted and are couple inches tall. The warm spring has been kind. I'm stoked to be growing my own. Don't expect much the first year, but next year who knows. Just another way to cut brewing costs.

My LHBS gave a class on hops growing and gave out free samples of rhizomes. The owner grows a lot of hops. Got three different types. Planted about a month ago and they have all sprouted and are couple inches tall. The warm spring has been kind. I'm stoked to be growing my own. Don't expect much the first year, but next year who knows. Just another way to cut brewing costs.

which LHBS was this? That's pretty cool.

My hops have been in my fridge for a few weeks. Still have no idea how I'm going to design the trellis/pole.

Back