Attempting to intentionally oxidize a beer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedYellow

Reaction score
For the sake of better understanding the flavor of oxidized beer, I'd like to intentionally create some. Since I have a CO2 system, the plan is to half-fill a 1L PET bottle, shake it, and re-pressurize with CO2 through a carbonator cap to prevent it from going flat. Seems like this should work. But will the beer need days or weeks or months to become properly "oxidized?" I can't say I know much about the mechanism by which oxygen changes a beer's flavor.

I'd put the 1L bottle on the floor and fill it by pouring beer into it from about chest height. That oughta do it.

Got a good LHBS? Mine occasionally puts on "off flavor clinics" where you basically drink bad beer to let you know what oxidation tastes like, lightstruck, too hot ferment temps, acetaldehyde, various infections, etc.

When I used to do such things I'd sometimes take fresh beer, stick an ORP probe in it and bubble some O2 through it. The ORP would just take off like a rocket so getting the beer into the oxidized state is easy. Now it make take the staling reactions somewhat longer to complete. I'd wait a couple of weeks. You will certainly be able to tell by taste.

or fill the bottle with flat beer about half way, shake the crap out of it, purge the air, put it more air and shake like **** again, than carbonate.

Why waste your homebrew? Pour a couple cans of PBR into a PET bottle and shake it up.

Back