Attempt at Wild yeast capture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerluvva

Reaction score
Thought I'd try to capture some wild yeast using a dish of gelatinized wort. I've read that you want to capture using wild fruit directly, or at least outside in proximity of the fruit plants.

No growing fruit in my garden now, but i do have a strawberry patch going dormant and some tomatoes growing. So today I placed this dish of goo at various places around this stuff. Now i wait 48 hrs to see what grows on the goo.

Was wondering if anyone else has had success catching yeast from a vegetable garden...thinking the tomatoes have some sugars. Maybe I'll end up making Peroni. :)

I'll post some pictures if anything crops up...
Thanks all

I had some good success capturing some wild yeast from my garden. From what Ihave read it it best to do it in cooler weather to keep the chance of getting mold down.

Here is my post..l. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/wild-yeast-capture-success-419725/

I just bottled a 5 gallon batch from this yeast. It tasted great and the yeast took it down to 1.001. Very Saison/Belgian like.

Give it a try. It is cool to have your own yeast.

Latest posts

Back