attaching hops to line or stakes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpm2nite

Reaction score
It's my first time trying to grow hops, I have about 10 mounds of hops all going to a commmon horizontal anchor line about 18 feet off the ground and about 25 feet in distance from the hop base.

For my environment I had to make the lines run up at about 45 degrees from their base instead of just going vertical.

The hops are now getting to be 1-3 feet each and I have some 3 ft wooden stakes to attach the sisal 1/4 rope and then to the horizontal line....

The question is...

1) should I put the stake near the hop bines and let them go up the wooden stake and then train them to follow the rope from there?

or

2) should I put the stakes a few feet behind the bines to have the rope off the ground and have the bines attach directly to the rope which would sit a foot or so off the ground?

thanks!

I put my "stakes" behind the plant, or so the line goesr over the rhizome mass and the plant can reach it when it is a few inches tall. You do not have to use 1/4 inch line to train the hops up. I have used just sisal twine doubled up and it also helps the young plants train up between the two strands when they are young. Important note: do not use dyed sisal it will stunt the growth! I did a rookie mistake like that five years ago with a few plants and they only grew about 8 ft and it drove me nuts untill i figured out the stunted plants were on the dyed lines. Look at my gallery and you can see what I do. You do not need a 3 ft stake either. You just need to keep the bottom of the line in the ground untill the plant is a few feet tall, it is much stronger than the string. Hope that this helps.

I use a stake to tie the the line to and use wood shish ke bob scewers to train the plants to the line secured by the stake. My first year, but it seems to be working.

Whatever works for you. we are all different. As I say "whatever drops your draws" keep doing it, mine is just an opinion without fact. If you want some advice just ask, you dont have to use it, it is my opinion.
Ray

Wow, thanks for the help everyone... I think I will try putting the stakes behind the plants and see how it works out.

Being new to homebrewing and growing hops, I had the same question as to starting the hops. I Was told to use a tomato cage and used it with great results. It simple to use, just push it into the ground above the bine and let the plant do the rest. When the bin is as tall as your stake just carefully unwind it and then wrap it around the twine in the same direction it grew originally. I had great results, good luck.

I put my "stakes" behind the plant, or so the line goesr over the rhizome mass and the plant can reach it when it is a few inches tall. You do not have to use 1/4 inch line to train the hops up. I have used just sisal twine doubled up and it also helps the young plants train up between the two strands when they are young. Important note: do not use dyed sisal it will stunt the growth! I did a rookie mistake like that five years ago with a few plants and they only grew about 8 ft and it drove me nuts untill i figured out the stunted plants were on the dyed lines. Look at my gallery and you can see what I do. You do not need a 3 ft stake either. You just need to keep the bottom of the line in the ground untill the plant is a few feet tall, it is much stronger than the string. Hope that this helps.

is it just sisal that has this issue? my centennials are on nylon cord right now. they're holding on fine, but they are growing significantly slower than my other hops (but they are a different variety and had a smaller rhizome to start with.....)

they will in fact climb almost anything. 30 of my plants grow up my picket fence before finding the jute twine at the top to continue their climb. there are more ways to train hops than most realize its amaizing what we come up with for our precious brood to climb.

I have only had the problem with dyed sisal, I geuss the dye leaches out. I have used all sorts of twine including nylon wit good results, and as tchuklobrau stated they will grow op ANYTHING!

Back