attaching bazooka screen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drengel

Reaction score
i searched for this but have found no answer. no homebrew supply website says anything about how to attach a bazooka screen to your kettle. i would like to try one of these out as an alternative to my cooler mash/lauter tun for smaller/low og batches, and if it doesnt work at least to stop the leaf hops. but i dont know how it attaches. i have a standard weld-b-gone fitting/regulator on my kettle, the inside of the pipe (inside the pipe inside the kettle) has no threads to attach anythiing to. so how does a bazooka screen attach to it? also, does this work well for mahing/sparging? it seems like it may not get the best efficiency.

sorry- its not a weld be gone bulkhead on there, its a polar ware pot that has the regulator on it. so theres a hole at the bottom, with nothing sticking out into the pot, and no threads in the hole. i cant think of how to attach a bazooka screen, or how to put a new bulkhead on it.

Is your bazooka screen's fitting threaded? Zymico's site claims that it's 1/2" MPT threaded, but that appears to be a sham, and they want you to buy their copper "fittings." If it's not threaded, is the fitting copper?

What is this 'regulator' that you speak of on your pot?

parasonic said:
What is this 'regulator' that you speak of on your pot?

valve, regulator, whatever. a thing that controls flow of water out of the brewpot.

i don't have one yet so your questions are the same as mine. it looks threaded on the end, but i have nothing to screw it into. i don't understand the purpose of the fittings other than to position the screen right into a sanke or something. perhaps i will just have to buy the 'kewler kit' thing and use it in my cooler. but i'd like some way of keeping the hops out when i drain it, especially after i get a wort chiller. i thought a screen would be a cheaper option than a polar-ware false bottom, but maybe my pot is like i-pods, they screw you and won't let you use anyother companys products in it.

On my kettle, I had a threaded fitting welded for the bazooka, but in my mash tun i just have a short piece of copper tubing that fits inside the faucet hole. The tube is just long enough that the bazooka is jambed in place and cannot back out. It isn't perfect, but good enough.

so you just stuffed the screen in a pipe instead of using the threads? do you have pictures? maybe i could do that with my pot.

view

Don't know why the image isn't fetching.

I made a keggle out of a sanke. I used a weld be gone fitting. The weld be gone fitting protrudes into the keggle and it is threaded on the inside.
I also purchased a bazooka T screen with a sanke adapter. The sanke adapter screws into the weld be gone fitting and the bazooka T slides on to the end of the adapter and secures w/ a hose clamp.
If you dont have anything protruding into your kettle i dont know how you could attach it.
Youd could make a device like david 42 ahs in the pic and push the copper tubing inside of the hole in the kettle that leads to the ball valve.

Back