at what point can a beer be considered an Imperial??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
is there a typical guideline as to certain parameters?? or is it strictly a gravity/ABV number that needs to be reach... 7.5%?? or minimal of 8% or ????

or is it all dependent on the style??

I'm working on a formula for an Imperial Kölsch but so far it is only (ha ha) coming in at about 7% I want the title to be proper so if I need to adjust the ABV I will do so per formula so that the title is correct. what is your opinions on this??, I did a google search with no results as far as at which point can a beer be considered an imperial based off of gravity/ABV.

any input would be appreciated thank you - Shawn

The BJCP guidelines for a Kolsch are between 4.4% and 5.2%, and according to the wiki https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Imperial "Imperial is a term sometimes used to describe a beer that is brewed to a significantly higher original gravity, and therefore a significantly higher alcohol content, than other beers in the same style."

So I guess your answer would depend on your definition of the word significantly. Is 7% significantly higher than 4.4-5.2% ? I think so, especially when you consider the delicate flavor of a kolsch.

If you have to ask then the answer is no... just one way to look at it.

Another thought might be ~1.5x normal strength

Agree with challenger440. We are homebrewers. All-grain is pretty cheap. I max about 15lbs of grain in my kettle. For imperial beers I do an all base malt mash, collect the runnings and use it as the strike water for the actual batch. In my opinion it should be at least 10%.

thanks for the replies as well challenger440 (awesome name I am a gear head too ha ha, but I'm a bow tie guy here) and Josephizer.

my recipe is not set in stone yet, and I am still extract...not even partial at this point..... but we'll see thanks!!

There's no set definition for imperial except for styles like Imperial IPA and Imperial Russian Stout.

Adjectives like Imperial, Double, Triple, Strong, Doppel have lost a lot of their historical significance and now just signify a "beefed up" version of the style. You still know what a Belgian Tripel or Belgian Dark Strong is, but there's Double Pale Ales, Triple IPAs, Doppelweizens, Imperial Pilsners, and even a Imperial Pale Ale (IPA) to confuse people even further. Just call it whatever you want.

Once it uses the Death Star to destroy Alderaan? :D

ha ha ha that's good ....I am prob the only human being on earth that has never seen an original stars wars movie from start to end seen some bits and pieces but never a whole episode ha ha

Back