Assistant Brew Master

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frozennorth

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My son, 12, has deemed himself as my assistant brew master. He helps rinse bottles, adds hops, and many other activities. He never tries the brew, but he enjoys the hop smells. Am I a bad father to include him? Do your kids get involved?

It probably depends on your culture and ethincity but as a European, I see no issue there. Had my first beer around 13 yo, didn't make me a bad person.

I actually think that you are teaching him to be responsible with alcohol, value it and drink it responsibly.

It's just my opinion and will respect people contradicting me but as far as I'm concerned, no issue here keep living happy the way you want.

I see nothing wrong with that at all. However, I do let my 6 year old help me here and there (mostly handing me a mash paddle or grabbing the bottle capper, etc nothing labor intensive or dangerous to either him or the beer). I have let him taste some of the (cooled) wort before and got the exact reaction I was expecting - a silly face and a verbal "eww." The kid only drinks water, milk or juice otherwise, and letting him believe the finished product has that sickly sweet taste (wort) is fine by me until he's old enough to have one (finished) legally.
He enjoys feeling like he is helping out around the house and in my opinion helping me out with brewing is no different, in fact it gives me a great opportunity to talk about alcohol with him and let him know that it's not necessarily a bad thing when taken in moderation and not abused. I also own guns - locked up when not in use and under my supervision at ALL times when out of the safe- and I make it a point to sit him down nearly every time I clean them to talk about firearms safety and to explain that they are not toys and all the reasons why. Neither of these instances mean that I would give my kid a beer or let him handle firearms until he is ready to, but I hope it means the difference in decision later on in life if and when he is presented with the opportunity to misuse either.
Too often I feel (especially in the United States, but maybe elsewhere as well) that we try to "protect and shelter" our children from these things, saying only that they are "bad" but not often enough feeling the need to explain why that is so.
Apologies if I'm off topic a bit here, but my point is that you should use these times to talk to your children about such things, whether you allow them to help or not, as it may be a much harder task to do so down the road when they start getting all their "knowledge" from their peers rather than their parents.

Basically, it's a cultural issue. Southern europeans have been putting kids to help with grape stomping for many centuries and most of these people have been/still are highly religious (Spain, Italy, Greece, etc).

Germany is a fairly religious country, still you can get a beer or wine at a restaurant when you're 14 if you're with your parent.

Some good points made here about de-mystifying the issue. Shielding kids from things just makes them taboo & they'll want it later because of that. So letting them help isn't just a cultural thing as much as it's a parenting thing. Showing how it's made & that it can be a normal part of family life is the far better course of action! :mug:

I started helping my grandpa when I was 8. He always talked about how it was a family tradition going way back to our roots in Germany. My dad never brewed but everyone else did, so he taught me. From that I have learned a deep respect for the art of brewing.

Count yourself lucky! I like what fartinmartin said about time spent with your son. I would love for either of my two daughters (16 and 12) to help me with brewing. They are really not fans of the smell so I think that is a huge deterrent but they do see beer and brewing as a very normal thing in the house. It is certainly not a mystery substance that they will have no part of until they are 19. It is on offer often and I certainly don't mind if they want to try a sip here and there.

Thank you all, you statements are where I am coming from. My son is my buddy too. We hunt, camp, and do many activities together. He is a straight A student and appreciates the science and math surrounding our hobby, which is how he got interested in the first place. He likes to help dad and has an appreciation for the word moderation after our talks, he has his step dad as a counter example. Brew on families, we are helping to build the next generation of brewers and responsible citizens!

My two oldest (3 and 6) try my beers as well. Actually, they try anything I'm drinking. I have their "pints" (shot glasses) that they get one fill of - no more. They know to smell it first and describe what they pick up sometimes getting some vocabulary lessons in there. They also try the mash, the wort and smell the hops. They assist in making my other fermented foods and love sauerkraut (odd for kids in my experience).

The oldest's first parent-teacher conferences usually have an interesting flair to them. The three-year old has had the same teachers, so at least it they are used to us by that time.

BTW, it's legal here in OH, but your state may vary.

my youngest is 31, and i will tell you (happily) that every single thing your son wants to do with you is good, and should be encouraged.

will be fun for you, will be priceless for him, and there's not a single bad thing that can come of it.

enjoy every minute of it.

also... for a slight variation on the theme, look up homemade ginger ale, or homemade root beer.

My two oldest (3 and 6) try my beers as well.

I also share my brew day with my daughters, 6 and 10. (The 13 year old has no interest) They generally help out for a while then loose interest. I like to spend time with them, and I love to share the lessons of DIY and learning to do projects with tangible outcomes.

They have tried the wort, but never the beer. I would be concerned about anyone under 14 or 15 year old having any alcohol. It's not worth the risk of messing with their brain development.

I see no issue. I explain the ease of brewing similar to cooking. I'd let my non-existent kid help cook so helping to make beer is no different in my eyes. It's not as though he is consuming it with you.

As a teacher, I see first hand what kids spend their time doing. If your child is spending time with you, at that age, and you two are enjoying yourselves........ You are light years ahead of the pack, I can assure you of that.

I think it is awesome. Great time together. A lot that can be taught and learned - ranging from social things (like respect for alcohol) to science, math, critical thinking, questioning, problem solving, research, experimentation......

If you made a list of "The 1000 most destructive things a child can spend their time doing" ........... "Brewing beer with Dad" would never even get close to making the cut.

You could be a really bad Dad like me..... my stepson tested the effects of temperature on yeast attenuation for a 7th grade science project.
:mug:

My son is 18 and has assisted me many times while brewing from about the time he was 4. He's not a drinker of beer but he knows what good beer is and can appreciate it. Also is great bonding time!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Being a teacher as well, I can also see what you are seeing. Most kids are crying out to spend quality time with Dad. I love the science fair project. How did he do? (My 14 year old daughter hates the smell and does not help, but we spend time doing other things together. She thinks that beer tastes gross. I told her boys are gross, beer is great, when you are old enough.)

Being a teacher as well, I can also see what you are seeing. Most kids are crying out to spend quality time with Dad. I love the science fair project. How did he do? (My 14 year old daughter hates the smell and does not help, but we spend time doing other things together. She thinks that beer tastes gross. I told her boys are gross, beer is great, when you are old enough.)

He did alright..... unfortunately 7th grade science project is more about "does it look pretty?" His "artistic skills" were ....ummmmm...lacking:) I think he got a "B" on it and maybe was one of the top 5 or so projects.

I teach a college credit biology class to seniors in HS and we do an experiment that looks at enzymes and the effects of temperature...... I thought - what better example than Mash Temperature and starch conversion? The kids love it. They perform the a simple mash of 1lb of 2Row grain. They do 3 different mashes - ice water, boiling water and 160 degree water...... They taste the grains and the mash before and after. look at visual changes, do starch conversion test, take hydrometer readings...... I don't explain much about the brewing process before hand. I make them try to figure out what is going on by themselves...... Why do they taste different? Why are gravity readings different? What is being measured with the gravity reading? Where did the sugar come from? How come it showed up in some and not others? I let the milk jugs of wort sit out in the room for a week or so..... I then have them go back and take another gravity reading of the "high gravity one" and explain where the "gravity" went? As it does not take long for bacteria to eat the sugars up in an unboiled wort:)
We also watch the episode of BrewMasters where they make the Chicha beer - ancient peruvian beer made by chewing corn to introduce amylase (saliva enzyme) into the grain..... They think that is pretty damn gross:drunk:

Anyway - from the feedback I get, I can tell the students are fascinated by the entire process.....

Good luck teaching your daughter that "boys are gross and beer is good":)

My two younger daughters (11 & 13) aren't all that interested now, but have helped me occasionally in the past. They also help crush and press grapes every year when we get together with another family to make wine.

I think it's a great idea to grab opportunities like this to spend time and share something with my girls.

Anyway - from the feedback I get, I can tell the students are fascinated by the entire process.....

Good luck teaching your daughter that "boys are gross and beer is good":)

Now that's the kind of teaching kids need, especially in HS. I still remember chewing unsalted crackers in elementary school. The experience cements the ideas.

I wish my dad had brewed beer. He was a machinist, so I got to listen to long, detailed stories about how he made stuff. But I did enjoy playing with the little curly shavings from the lathes :)

My middle boy Jacob also 12 is my assistant as well. Hop adder, bottling assistant, etc. I do actually take it a step further letting him have the occasional sip of the finished product to see the differences. He is also the experimental soda maker, he likes his fresh ginger ginger ale, lol.

My youngest is designated yeast smacker and root beer guru.

I think it is important to teach all three of my boys self sufficiency, gardening, hop growing, harvesting natures bounty, and all these things fall in line with brewing to me. A kid that can plant a garden, brew a beer, make their own soda will generally at least attempt to do most things out of curiosity or down right need, that is a very good thing to teach in my opinion.

So keep on teaching!

My son, 12, has deemed himself as my assistant brew master. He helps rinse bottles, adds hops, and many other activities. He never tries the brew, but he enjoys the hop smells. Am I a bad father to include him? Do your kids get involved?

I think you could have a problem on your hands. Beginning the lupulin threshold shift at such a young age could lead to unmitigated desire for greater bitterness, flavor, and aroma later in life.

I think you could have a problem on your hands. Beginning the lupulin threshold shift at such a young age could lead to unmitigated desire for greater bitterness, flavor, and aroma later in life

In plain English does that mean a triple or quad IPA drinker?:cross:

They have tried the wort, but never the beer. I would be concerned about anyone under 14 or 15 year old having any alcohol. It's not worth the risk of messing with their brain development.

Thanks for the advice doctor.
daydream.gif

I should have stopped reading at "I agree with Fartinmartin." Unfortunately, I made it the three year old drinking shot glasses full of beer.

I have a 2 year old and talk openly about how I am getting ready to brew, etc. I have taken him to the liquor store. I never drink in front of him unless its a special occasion though.

There is this weird thought that somehow Americans hide drinking from kids and that makes them rebel and go crazy. Hate to burst people's bubble but this is simply not true. We would rank pretty low on the consumption level if the US was a European country. And many countries of Europe, where alcohol is accepted, have very big issues, bigger than the US. But I digress.

I actually plan on teaching my son to brew around the age the OP suggested. He can help. I do worry about kegging in the home but thats awhile away. My actual dream is that my son opens a brewery and uses my recipes to start. He takes all the risk and I get all the initial credit. And the OP though he might be a bad father!!

Why would it be bad? You're just cooking. I worked in a restaurant / brewery in highschool and the brewer would let me taste the wort before it was fermented.

No, you're not a bad father for doing things with your son. My son (10) helps out in the process and has sampled the results.

Anyway, you're entirely legal. Alaska allows consumption in private, non alcohol selling premisses with parental consent. Actually 41 states allow minors to consume for one reason or another. Michigan allows an exemption for "educational" purposes. Surely that's what we do at home.

http://www2.potsdam.edu/alcohol/You...rinking-Under-the-Age-of-21.html#.U8VZyvldV8E

I also share my brew day with my daughters, 6 and 10. (The 13 year old has no interest) They generally help out for a while then loose interest. I like to spend time with them, and I love to share the lessons of DIY and learning to do projects with tangible outcomes.

I don't think anyone is advocating having their 3 yo binge drink. If a taste of beer concerns you, the affects of loud noises, flashing lights, television, and jungle gyms/trampolines on brain development and injuries must terrify you.

My son, 12, has deemed himself as my assistant brew master. He helps rinse bottles....

I wish I had a mini-me to do the $#!+ work I don't want to do. :D

Nothing wrong with including the little guy in your hobby, I'm sure it's a great bonding experience for you two. There's nothing inherently wrong or taboo about beer, and treating it as such only leads to problems later (21yo's & alcohol poisoning come to mind). By including him in your beer hobby, you are demystifying beer and educating him responsibly.

It's not like you're getting the little guy $#!+faced... or at least I didn't get that from the OP. :drunk:

If a taste of beer concerns you, the affects of loud noises, flashing lights, television, and jungle gyms/trampolines on brain development and injuries must terrify you.

Yes! I find much of being a parent an exercise in anxiety! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I get my kids involved as much as they're willing. I see it as a way to introduce measurement, attention to detail/process, chemistry, biology, as well as removing the mystery around beer and alcohol. My oldest (almost 5) starts most every Saturday by asking if we can brew. Her favorite part is right at the beginning, helping to measure the grain and she always gets a little cup of 2 row to munch on. We discuss the process, the mash, the ingredients, etc. Afterwards, she spends days telling mommy about the whole process. She got really excited a few weeks back when we did our first ever batch of root beer.

The almost three year old and the 1 year old obviously don't yet show any interest, but on many occasions I have them around while the process is going on.

A photo from last winter of one of our brew days.

1458442_10101427221154318_1151875363_n.jpg

Back