Ask me anything!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different regions have different growing seasons, but US hops are harvested in the fall. I know preorders for some of the sought-after US varieties from 2014 are just getting out.

I did hear recently from my LHBS owner that a lot of varieties have spiked in price recently, some up to 60%.

What are you looking for?

Well, mainly it's my LHBS that is starting to dry up on certain varieties, was looking for Simcoe and Amarillo.

Great minds of HBT,

What is the best way to get kettle soot off the bottom of a bathtub? I need to know before the wife has a freaking coronary.

I was rinsing out my BK and set it in the tub, pulled it out and soot stains everywhere.

Thanks.

Great minds of HBT,

What is the best way to get kettle soot off the bottom of a bathtub? I need to know before the wife has a freaking coronary.

I was rinsing out my BK and set it in the tub, pulled it out and soot stains everywhere.

Thanks.

Mix comet into a paste - apply - let it sit for 10 minutes - scrub with a scouring pad.

Great minds of HBT,

Thanks.

Start with the simplest, Barkeepers Friend. May need to move up to PBW if that doesn't work.
If you don't have both of those on hand, you deserve what the wife is going to say.

Not looking to force carb, just set and forget.

I can make that easily enough... I work for a hydraulics distributor, I can get any fittings/valves/orings/you name it at cost + 5%.

For your info:

These CO2 manifolds pictured, ( the good ones), have a check valve in them to prevent beer backflow in a worst case scenario.............You "should" incorporate that as well if building your own!

Does any one else age their wines and beer for a real long time just because bottling and cleaning is the worst part?

Hey guys, thanks for the info... used some comet and blasted it out of there in no time. Wifey wasn't even mad.

New question... my overnight mash worked amazingly, beer is in the fermenter.

However, what do I call the thing?

50% White Wheat/50% 2-row @ ~50 IBUs, American Hop varieties and depending on attenuation, 5 - 6.5% alcohol.

Is it a Wheat APA? IBUs are a bit high, but I think that's what I may end up calling it. Or do I just stick with straight American Wheat?

However, what do I call the thing?

50% White Wheat/50% 2-row @ ~50 IBUs, American Hop varieties and depending on attenuation, 5 - 6.5% alcohol.

Is it a Wheat APA? IBUs are a bit high, but I think that's what I may end up calling it. Or do I just stick with straight American Wheat?

Oh Psylo, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Send me some, I'll test it and let you know what to call it :cross:

Oh Psylo, a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Send me some, I'll test it and let you know what to call it :cross:

Is that from that Leo DiCaprio movie? Good stuff man, good stuff.

We'll talk if it turns out alright. How's that Hefe doing?

This Wednesday iirc, will make 2 weeks in the keg which is the deadline I gave it before I would dump it. I tried it last at the one week mark and haven't since. I just may give it a try tonight, the only hard part is that with all the snow I don't have any guests to help drink it if it does get better. I've never had luck with these recipe kits.

This Wednesday iirc, will make 2 weeks in the keg which is the deadline I gave it before I would dump it. I tried it last at the one week mark and haven't since. I just may give it a try tonight, the only hard part is that with all the snow I don't have any guests to help drink it if it does get better. I've never had luck with these recipe kits.

Don't give it a deadline man... what's it taking up? 1 keg? Some fridge space?

Let 'er ride 2 more weeks at least, unless you need your space/keg for something else.

Don't give it a deadline man... what's it taking up? 1 keg? Some fridge space?

Let 'er ride 2 more weeks at least, unless you need your space/keg for something else.

Yeah, just half our fridge.

Maybe I'll just invite some friends over and have them help me with some snow removal in return for free beer. I'll just murder that hefe with oranges :D

Yeah, just half our fridge.

Maybe I'll just invite some friends over and have them help me with some snow removal in return for free beer. I'll just murder that hefe with oranges :D

Oh, lol... so it's SWMBO that's driving this.

Got it.

We all know that late addition hops contribute most of the hop flavor to our beers, but what is the impact of large amounts of dry hops added to the fermenter on perceived flavor?

Aroma is 70 - 75% of what we perceive as taste... but surely the different oils released by boiling hops change the flavor/aroma profiles of a certain variety.

My question is, if minimal hops are used for flavoring, but a very large amount of aroma additions are added (flameout/dry hop), would that not also contribute a large part of the perceived flavor of the brew?

Does it result in a fresher/cleaner taste than when the hops are boiled, or does it work differently than that?

Just trying to wrap my head around the perceived flavor part of it... and it may just be something I need to experiment with.

We all know that late addition hops contribute most of the hop flavor to our beers, but what is the impact of large amounts of dry hops added to the fermenter on perceived flavor?

Aroma is 70 - 75% of what we perceive as taste... but surely the different oils released by boiling hops change the flavor/aroma profiles of a certain variety.

My question is, if minimal hops are used for flavoring, but a very large amount of aroma additions are added (flameout/dry hop), would that not also contribute a large part of the perceived flavor of the brew?

Does it result in a fresher/cleaner taste than when the hops are boiled, or does it work differently than that?

Just trying to wrap my head around the perceived flavor part of it... and it may just be something I need to experiment with.

I don't have an accurate answer to give you... I've only dry hopped once, a little IPA with Citra hops. It was however one of my best HB and even people that don't like hops loved it (with the usual surprise of "OOOOH It's Citrusy!!). Anyway...

Have you ever read 'For the Love of Hops' by Hieronymus? I just finished it, and would be willing to send it your way.

I don't have an accurate answer to give you... I've only dry hopped once, a little IPA with Citra hops. It was however one of my best HB and even people that don't like hops loved it (with the usual surprise of "OOOOH It's Citrusy!!). Anyway...

Have you ever read 'For the Love of Hops' by Hieronymus? I just finished it, and would be willing to send it your way.

Well, I dry hopped my APA, but that had a ton of late addition hops too.

I'm trying to determine the final dry hop schedule for the wheat I just brewed, which only had .5 oz bittering (Columbus) @ 60 and 1 oz Centennial @ 30.

I'm wondering if stacking about 2.5 oz of dry hops on top of that will have any ill effects or if it will produce a perceived flavor that is not derived from late addition hops in the boil. I guess more so the question would be, is there a thing as too much dry hops as it relates to quantity?

What I don't want is to have an overpowering hop flavor without the malt backbone to support it, my APA was a bit dry and the amount of hops used almost gave it a cider-y character, which is what I want to avoid.

Anyone have a hell of a time removing pin lock posts? The pins are so far up that the socket barely bites. Am i missing a trick?

Copy that. Haven't found a good way to do it either. I just use a crescent wrench until they give and smash my knuckles.

Anyone have a hell of a time removing pin lock posts? The pins are so far up that the socket barely bites. Am i missing a trick?

I made myself one of these with a spare 13/16" deep well socket and a bit of grinding with a dremel
Socket_thm12.jpg

I made myself one of these with a spare 13/16" deep well socket and a bit of grinding with a dremel
Socket_thm12.jpg

Guh... was hoping that wouldn't be the solution.

Guess I've got another little project on my hands.

Copy that. Haven't found a good way to do it either. I just use a crescent wrench until they give and smash my knuckles.

Just buy the already made socket wrench for pin lock posts. Way easier to remove the posts. I got one when I bought my kegs. Niagara traditions has them.

Just buy the already made socket wrench for pin lock posts. Way easier to remove the posts. I got one when I bought my kegs. Niagara traditions has them.

Those are like... $17, I'll make a socket before I buy one. I could just about make another beer for 17 dollars! :D

Vise grip clamped below the pins got 'em off... should have updated.

Whats the difference between jelly and jam?

Jelly is a clear or translucent fruit spread made from sweetened fruit juice, and set using naturally occurring pectin. Jam contains both fruit juice and pieces of fruit.

Back