Asian perry?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anybody ever done a 100% asian pear cider? I currently have 5.5 gallons in primary and am curious what the finished cider will be like.

No clue, but I have about about 25 lbs of Asian pears that are in my freezer, I'll thaw and press them (whole) in the next few weeks.
Descriptions of commercial Asian pear perry are hard to find but Nashi orchards website says they use three varieties and its slightly sweet:

https://nashiorchards.squarespace.com/libations
That makes sense with the sorbitol in the pears. Mine has a similar blend to Nashi's Chojuro perry though, I wish I lived close enough to try it! I guess really I was just worried about it being bland or not acidic enough.

I just bottled a batch of 100% Asian Perry. Currently bottle conditioning, so I haven't tried the finished product yet, but the taste test at bottling time was really nice. Light and refreshing. I little light on the flavor, but definitely quite nice on the palette.

I did a Perry last year that was 50% Asian pears and a mix of other pears for the rest, and that turned out very similar. It was light and refreshing, perfect for a hot day.

I just bottled a batch of 100% Asian Perry. Currently bottle conditioning, so I haven't tried the finished product yet, but the taste test at bottling time was really nice. Light and refreshing. I little light on the flavor, but definitely quite nice on the palette.

I did a Perry last year that was 50% Asian pears and a mix of other pears for the rest, and that turned out very similar. It was light and refreshing, perfect for a hot day.
Awesome that's encouraging! I have another batch I did earlier this fall that was about 60% pear and 40% apple that came out pretty good. The pears definitely took some of the bite out of the apple and they added a little sweetness as well (sorbitol)

A small craft cidery near me does a straight-up Asian perry and one with ginger, both are fantastic. They use Chojuro and Seuri varieties. I recently did a Seigyoku pear with Fuyu persimmon. It still needs to age a bit but an early sampling was pretty good.

5591A341-7B4F-40A7-8CDF-157230791991.jpeg
Well I just racked it and tried a sample. Very light and refreshing with a little earthiness... and a bit of sulphur as well unfortunately. I noticed the smell a couple days into the fermentation and added some yeast nutrient but it must have been too late. Should I just wait and hope it dissipates? I’ve made a fair amount of beer and wine and have only had this happen one other time with a lager.

A small craft cidery near me does a straight-up Asian perry and one with ginger, both are fantastic. They use Chojuro and Seuri varieties. I recently did a Seigyoku pear with Fuyu persimmon. It still needs to age a bit but an early sampling was pretty good.
I know that this is a bit old but, did you press the persimmon? If so how'd that go, and how'd the drink turn out?

Back