Asheville TBers?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any thoughts on Hillman Beer?

This is totally my opinion on Asheville but there are a handful of places that have good beer: Burial, Sierra Nevada, Greenman (sometimes) Bhamari (sometimes), The Wedge and maybe a place I’m forgetting (**** wicked weed). But any brewery you go to had an awesome vibe because Asheville has an awesome vibe. The land and people up there are awesome. So you’ll have a great time any place you go but if you’re only hunting good beer, stick to the places above.

This is totally my opinion on Asheville but there are a handful of places that have good beer: Burial, Sierra Nevada, Greenman (sometimes) Bhamari (sometimes), The Wedge and maybe a place I’m forgetting (**** wicked weed). But any brewery you go to had an awesome vibe because Asheville has an awesome vibe. The land and people up there are awesome. So you’ll have a great time any place you go but if you’re only hunting good beer, stick to the places above.

Wicked Weeds beer hasn’t changed, so it’s still good, but if you avoid it because of the sell out then that’s really one of the few knocks against it, other than the crowds.

I enjoyed Twin Leaf quite a bit as well and had never even heard of it until we just happened to walk past.

Wicked Weeds beer hasn’t changed, so it’s still good, but if you avoid it because of the sell out then that’s really one of the few knocks against it, other than the crowds.

I always thought their beer was pretty middle of the road with a few high points here and there but they make so many different beers that it’s hard to keep up with what’s good and what’s mediocre.

Now that they’ve sold out, **** them. Asheville has such a local vibe that I could care less about ABinBev trying to be hippie cool.

I always thought their beer was pretty middle of the road with a few high points here and there but they make so many different beers that it’s hard to keep up with what’s good and what’s mediocre.

Now that they’ve sold out, **** them. Asheville has such a local vibe that I could care less about ABinBev trying to be hippie cool.

Hated when they sold out, it only pushed up the timeline that burial became the hotspot. My wife enjoyed their sours and I did too, so we loved when they finally opened the funk because it made it easy to skip the atrocity that was the OG pub. We’ve been drinking WW from the start just about so I do have a soft spot for em and what they accomplished in Asheville... and for Asheville.

Asheville is a great town though, I won’t lie. The people are hit or miss, and during high tourist times it’s down right annoying to get around in some areas.

I always find myself in a happy spot @ a picnic table at burial and can’t help but be relaxed and taking in the good day though.

It's all been downhill since Green Man stopped having guest taps.

While it's real talk for old people, Highland gets no love, but I have had multiple small system IPAs there better than anything Burial has brewed.

When they had that new Brewer ( who is gone now I think) come in and revamp and recharge some of their beers, they’ve been in a bit of resurgence. I agree, Highland is got the staying power and good beer. Plus a kicksss area if you’ve got kids or pets

Planning a trip to Asheville in 2 weeks and this thread has been really helpful.

Is there a good spot in Asheville to watch the Sweet 16/Elite 8 games in two weeks that also has good beer? Doesn't have to be a brewery, but that would be preferred. Place won't need a ton of tv's because the games will be relatively spaced out.

Planning a trip to Asheville in 2 weeks and this thread has been really helpful.

Is there a good spot in Asheville to watch the Sweet 16/Elite 8 games in two weeks that also has good beer? Doesn't have to be a brewery, but that would be preferred. Place won't need a ton of tv's because the games will be relatively spaced out.

Can’t ‘member is Barleys has ample TVs or not. Good pizza, good tap list and chill spot.

Maybe Greenmansion or jack of the woods would... hard to tell, Asheville isn’t the sportsball type from what I gather.

Can’t ‘member is Barleys has ample TVs or not. Good pizza, good tap list and chill spot.

Maybe Greenmansion or jack of the woods would... hard to tell, Asheville isn’t the sportsball type from what I gather.

My instincts were greenman as well, but never really ever paid attention to the tv situation at any of the Asheville spots to be honest. I wanna say that I'm sure most places would have the games on if they have tvs, but that's me just making an assumption. The upstairs at greenman is definitely popping in my mind as the best possibility. Might want to give Hi-wire a call...I know they have a pretty nice projection setup at their high top location from time to time. I'd probably just call around and ask.

Too late to edit, obviously meant Big Top

Too late to edit, obviously meant to italicize Big instead of Top

im-smart.gif

Too late to edit, obviously meant to italicize Big instead of Top

im-smart.gif

I liked Top being italicized. It just really worked.

Also excited to go to some of these places in a few weeks. Thanks to everyone for these suggestions

Trip is finished. Kids didn't really allow to much adult time.

We went to SN for dinner, food was amazing. The space was designed and well thought out. I really did like all of the design and thought that went into the building, that's the nerd in me.

Went to Tasty and grabbed the rest of the beers I wanted. Burial, Fonta, SN southern gothic, and a few others. That's a cool store and the selection was great.

Instead of going around the city we stayed around our Airbnb mostly and visited my BIL in hickory, fonta has weird hours so we didn't get to stop.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

Did you at least check out Olde Hickory then?

No we were at the BIL house a lot longer than we expected which was great but we wanted to relax before the long drive the next day.

I think next time we will go w/o the kids, then a lot more places can be visited

Trip is finished. Kids didn't really allow to much adult time.

We went to SN for dinner, food was amazing. The space was designed and well thought out. I really did like all of the design and thought that went into the building, that's the nerd in me.

Went to Tasty and grabbed the rest of the beers I wanted. Burial, Fonta, SN southern gothic, and a few others. That's a cool store and the selection was great.

Instead of going around the city we stayed around our Airbnb mostly and visited my BIL in hickory, fonta has weird hours so we didn't get to stop.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone

How sad it that I assumed BIL here meant Barleywine is Life and you were making some kind of reference to a visit to Olde Hickory to drink all their tasty strong ales.

I went through Asheville this week to Greensboro for work. I stopped on the way and had the buttermilk fried chicken sandwich with pimento cheese and waffle fries at Buxton Hall BBQ. So good.
On the way back through Asheville yesterday I stopped at Biscuit Head and had a fried chicken biscuit with slaw, egg over easy and homemade jelly. Home fries as a side. Hnnnnng.
These 2 places are worth a wait to eat at imo.

I went through Asheville this week to Greensboro for work. I stopped on the way and had the buttermilk fried chicken sandwich with pimento cheese and waffle fries at Buxton Hall BBQ. So good.
On the way back through Asheville yesterday I stopped at Biscuit Head and had a fried chicken biscuit with slaw, egg over easy and homemade jelly. Home fries as a side. Hnnnnng.
That's fine, don't call, chicken slut. Oh wait, I changed my number. My bad.

If you were a ***** and didn’t get the gravy flight at biscuit head you done ****ed up A-A-Ron

Asheville for a week in about a week.
Priorities for beer/food/retro video game stores?
Only place I care about going when I'm there is Zillicoah for beer, and the Zillicoah taco truck for food.

and Cucina 24 and Buxton Hall for food.

Pretty sure my boss will be mad if I don't also mention visiting Tasty Beverage while you're there. We're around the corner when you're sick of the line/crowd at Burial

Haven’t been to Zillicoah yet but have heard basically the same exact thing from a bunch of folks now. They seem to be a clear notch above.

Will be rolling through for the Tame Impala concert, anyone have any recommendations for hotels? Preferably would like to be walking distance to breweries/bars and not have to uber

Just flew in from Asheville and boy is my liver tired.
Buxton and 12 Bones were both tip-****ing-top.

Breweries visited in order of how interested I will be in going the next time I'm in town:

Burial - The only place I went twice, Blood Tusk is off the chain.
Zillicoah - give all the pets to Riff Raff
One World - Sjoelen is life
Sierra Nevada - clearly very expensive facility, fantastic food (including ramen???)
Bhramari - I think they are using a dartboard for their beer recipes
Sanctuary - Music was good, beer not so much.
Triskellion - They had Dark Souls the Board Game...which was weird. That's the only thing I remember about this place.

(Also hit up Tasty on the way to the aiport)

I had a great time, thanks for all the recommendations!

Been getting cabin fever from the cold weather and working extended hours this year, and desperately want to get outdoors and enjoy some fresh mountain air. Booked a 4 day trip to Great Smoky Mountains and Asheville for next month. Booked reservations for a place called Curate and I think I have the brewery/bar tour down pat, but I had a few lingering questions.

What will the greenery be like down there at the end of April?

Any other suggestions like state parks, waterfalls, springs, tourist places to check out? Biltmore House is expensive, but it looks fun. Worth visiting?

Last edited:
Back