Arrowhead Red-Itish Red Extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markus2982

Reaction score
So I recently bounty Beersmith mobile and wanted to build a recipe. Since I grew in KC and my family and I are big KC Chiefs fans I wanted to make a beer in time for football season. Currently calling it Arrowhead Red but not set in that name. Here is the recipe I came up with using Beersmith and other red ale recipes as guidance. Any feedback would be great.

Arrowhead Red

6 pounds light DME
8 oz Special Roast
8 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1.6 oz chocolate malt
4 oz biscuit malt
1 oz East Kent Golding 60 min 5%
0.5 oz Willamette 15 min 5.5%
Nottingham

Estimated OG 1.054
Estimated FG 1.012
Estimated ABV 5.54
IBUs: 19.3
Color: 12.8 SRM

I just moved this recipe to the recipe/ingredients forum and out of the database where proven tested recipes are posted. That's probably why you didn't get any response, so having moved it to the appropriate forum may help get some replies!

Thanks! I wasn't sure which forum to put it in. Still really new on here.

Irish Reds generally use a British base malt, so I'd try to find some English or Marris Otter LME. Also they should have a good bit of lingering caramelly sweetness, so I'd suggest layering a couple kinds of Crystal malt but keep it under a pound total. Right now you don't have any! With the crystal malts you'll probably have enough dextrins to drop the carapils.

Thanks for the info. I tweaked the recipe. Added Crystal 20, Crystal 40, alittle roasted barley and took out the Carpils. We are brewing this up tomorrow.

On an unrelated note, this will be our first brew that isn't on a stove top.my dad gave me a propane burner he did use any more.

Bottled up this red on Sunday so now the hardest wait is the carb/age. Here is the final recipe if anyone is curious.

Arrowhead Pride Irish Red

Bottled up this red on Sunday so now the hardest wait is the carb/age. Here is the final recipe if anyone is curious.

Arrowhead Pride Irish Red

8 oz Crystal 20L
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Special Roast
2 oz Roasted Barley
4 oz Biscuit Malt
6 lbs light DME (2 lbs at boil, 4 lbs at end of boil)
0.5 oz East Kent Goldings-60 min
0.5 oz Willamette-25 min
0.5 oz Willamette-7 min
Nottingham

OG 1.054
FG ?.??? (Hydrometer broke!)

Let me know if you have any thoughts. Next time I may drop the Roasted Barley to get it a shade lighter. Can't wait to try it.

Ok. Drinking my first one and I think it turned pretty good. It is skittle more brown than red, but has a nice malt flavor with some Carmel sweetness. Very drinkable. I may make this my first signature brew. May tweak the color a bit.

image-597246547.jpg

Back