ARRGH! Gas leaks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe American

Reaction score
I'm trying to set up my keg system, and can't find the leaks!
I bought 4 used cornies, replaced all the o-rings, lubed up, and when I turn off the gas at the tank, the line pressure drops to nothing.
When disconnected from the kegs, the lines & fittings hold pressure.
I've submerged the kegs in water and cant see any bubbles.
Any ideas?

Do you have the lines hooked up on the keg when you submerge it?
May be the post / disconnect interface, possibly the o-ring on the post?
I've heard that star-san is great for tracking down leaks as it bubbles like crazy, but will never leave anything behind but a little cleanliness.

Yes, all lines connected.
I've just epoxied shut the drain holes in a 55 gal scrap drum, and will completely submerge the ENTIRE system if I have to!

I'd expect the lines and keg to hold pressure until a valve is opened.
If not, then something's leaking, no?

BTW, same problem on 4 different kegs, so I am suspecting the gas connectors

Test each keg one at a time, and before doing so, fill it with water. Trying to pressurize an empty keg for testing will waste a lot of gas.

Hook up the keg, charge it with 30 pounds. Disconnect the lines and let sit for 10 minutes. Test the pressure releif valve to see if you still have pressure. If you do, the the kegs themselve are likely fine.

30 pounds will be enough to seal the lids good and make any leak very obvious.

Use a spray bottle with soapy solution and spray around all your connections while under pressure.

BierMuncher said:
Test each keg one at a time, and before doing so, fill it with water. Trying to pressurize an empty keg for testing will waste a lot of gas.

Hook up the keg, charge it with 30 pounds. Disconnect the lines and let sit for 10 minutes. Test the pressure releif valve to see if you still have pressure. If you do, the the kegs themselve are likely fine.

30 pounds will be enough to seal the lids good and make any leak very obvious.

Use a spray bottle with soapy solution and spray around all your connections while under pressure.

Excellent advise.

But it's highly unlikely all 4 kegs have the same problem. Unless you put them back together wrong.

It sounds to me like something is wrong between the CO2 cylinder and the keg to me. Maybe at the gas post connector.

Spray that soapy water or Star - San around the tank and connectors too. Or you can use a brush and brush the solution on.

Do you hear any leaks with the whole system connected & pressurized?

Can't hear anything, but that's because I'm in my shop with radio, air compressor, and HVLP paint gun all going at once.
When things calm down a little, I'll try to listen for the hissin'.

OK, all the kegs seal tight, the gas regulator, when submerged, doesn't bubble, but when it breaks the surface, the line pressure plummets.

So it's the diaphragm, sealed by the pressure of the water, but leaking at normal air pressure.

My shoes are soaked.

Back