Aroma fades away by itself ?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orionslove

David
Reaction score
I dry hopped a beer in the primary fermenter with the 'magnet' method, putting the hop and a piece of metal into a hop bag, then let it stay on the wall of the primary fermenter with a piece of magnet. I only let the hop bag drop into the beer when it stops bubbling, so that I can avoid oxygen kicking in and not letting the aroma blown away

In the first 24 hours, the aroma was quite nice in the sampling, being tropical and fruity. Then in 48 hours, most of it disappeared, leaving only the piney and herbal part.

Is there something like a peak hour for the fruity aroma, e.g. in 24 hours I should have done the bottling to 'seal' the aroma?

p.s. I put Irish Moss tablet during the boiling.

Last edited:
Was the bag big enough for expansion of the hops ? How many oz of hops and what size of batch are we talking?

What kind of metal was in your hop bag? A coated one like a stir bar or just plain magnetic metal?

My process is dry hopping on day 16. Then package on day 21. I keg so I have access to co2 , so when I dry hop I run co2 through my Spike fv open the hatch and set the hops in.

That dry hop aroma shouldn't dissipate 48hrs into the dry hop stage.

The bag is pretty big for the hop expansion, and I just used a plain magnetic metal.

I used a 30L bucket, with about 8L of beer in it, dry hopping with 30g of Simcoe and Equinox (so equivalently it was like 2.5oz of dry hop per 5 gallon)

I am wondering if it is the large cavity (22L) that let the aroma dissipate, e.g. aroma compound get dissolved from the hop, then it evaporated into the cavity above and left the solvent (though not blow away yet)

Back