ARgon checking in from VT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARgon

Royal Irish A$$
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
:mug: guys! I ran across your forum looking for info on a grain mill. Looks like a nice group of makers/drinkers! I look forward to all the info I can glean from here!:ban: I have two 6.5 gal primaries and four 5 gal secondaries, all glass. My good friend does 20 gallon batches and and puts in 5 gal kegs with a gas system. He uses all grains. I'm not there yet, but would love to move to grain for 5 gal batches.

I brew my beer and reload my ammo. I would love to grow hops, any ideas for a strain that will do well in Northern VT?:confused:

Welcome to HBT! :mug: You've found the best resource for brewing I think. ;)

We have a hop growing forum on here, it may contain some information and if not you can certainly ask and I bet someone can answer!

Welcome to HBT! I'm originally from outside of Bennington, my folks still live around there, and I'm just over the border in MA.

No idea for hops strains specifically well-suited to Northern VT, but Cascades are generally considered to be pretty hardy.

the_bird said:
Welcome to HBT! I'm originally from outside of Bennington, my folks still live around there, and I'm just over the border in MA.

No idea for hops strains specifically well-suited to Northern VT, but Cascades are generally considered to be pretty hardy.

Thanks to all.

I just happen to like Cascades . Used it last for a Pale Ale, Cascades for boiling and finishing for that one!

I have Cascades, Nugget, Magnum & a mystery hop that may be Goldings that survived last winter and are up and looking good. Adding Fuggles, Mt. Hood & Kent Golding this year.

In my area there were a number of hop farms in the 19th century, so I would think most varieties would do OK.

They are pretty tough plants.

At the Long Trail Brewery in Bridgewater, their Cascades plants "escaped" and the vines are growing wild along the river.

Cheers & Welcome aboard

vtchuck said:
I have Cascades, Nugget, Magnum & a mystery hop that may be Goldings that survived last winter and are up and looking good. Adding Fuggles, Mt. Hood & Kent Golding this year.

In my area there were a number of hop farms in the 19th century, so I would think most varieties would do OK.

They are pretty tough plants.

At the Long Trail Brewery in Bridgewater, their Cascades plants "escaped" and the vines are growing wild along the river.

Cheers & Welcome aboard
You don't have a problem with the hops crossing strains?

"Rhizomes"

Most of the major online shops sell them, but I'd go direct to freshops.com. I wouldn't wait too much longer to order, they're only for sale in the spring and tend to sell out pretty quickly (probably more quickly this year, given how many people are looking to grow their own hops now).

The general rule is that if you're growing different strains, keep them about six feet apart so they don't get intertwined. If you're growing the same strain, plant ~3 feet apart.

the_bird said:
"Rhizomes"

Most of the major online shops sell them, but I'd go direct to freshops.com. I wouldn't wait too much longer to order, they're only for sale in the spring and tend to sell out pretty quickly (probably more quickly this year, given how many people are looking to grow their own hops now).

The general rule is that if you're growing different strains, keep them about six feet apart so they don't get intertwined. If you're growing the same strain, plant ~3 feet apart.

Thanks, I should try this!

vtchuck said:
If you're asking about cross breading or cross pollenating to produce a hybrid, that's not an issue, because the rhizomes are female.

Nothing like having the back meadow full of females doing all the work.......JUST KIDDING!!! I DON'T WANT ALL THE BREW GALS BEATING ME OVER THE HEAD!!:mug:

Welcome fellow Vermonter to HBT - a great resource

I am very interested in this thread, as we have a vg southern exposure, and growing season is short .. wld like to try those hops in the ground ...

I will go for cascades this year .. a neighbor has been growing Willamette, which I have used in several brews ... still have 1/2 lb in basement freezer..

Only concern is figuring AA content... I am no chemist !

kappclark said:
Welcome fellow Vermonter to HBT - a great resource

I am very interested in this thread, as we have a vg southern exposure, and growing season is short .. wld like to try those hops in the ground ...

I will go for cascades this year .. a neighbor has been growing Willamette, which I have used in several brews ... still have 1/2 lb in basement freezer..

Only concern is figuring AA content... I am no chemist !

You may be no chemist, but you have some nice glassware.

Back