Arg! lost the recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonzombiekitty

Reaction score
*rant*

A few weeks ago I brewed myself what was intended to be a clone of my favorite go-to craft beer Yards Philadelphia Pale Ale. I opened it this weekend to see how I did and found I was pretty damn close for having taken a stab in the dark at reproducing it (all I knew was it used pilsen malt as a base and simcoe for at least part of the hops). Friends said that while it very close to target, my brew is actually better, and very good for a hot summer day.

Sweet. A recipe to keep and make again, right? No. I forgot to save the recipe. I'm really mad at myself. I know I dry hopped with an ounce of simcoe, used citra & simcoe in the boil, and I know I used a bit of honey malt & dextrine as part of the grain bill. But I have no idea what amounts I used, etc.

Damn.

i've done the same thing. oddly enough i've only ever lost the recipe/forgot to save on the ones that came out great. i always find the recipe sheet for the less than stellar beers.

I did something very similar recently. I made a 3 gallon batch of Irish Red Ale (first attempt at all grain using BIAB). I was then using QBrew to formulate a stout recipe and hit save instead of save as. For those who do not use qbrew, it always brings up you last viewed recipe. I choose to write over to prevent from writing out all the steps every time.

I thought it was not a big issue, how good could a first all grain be. Drank my first, then second then third the other night and was so amazed how good it came out, then it dawned on me. Damn the first recipe I would repeat exactly and it was lost. The printed copy was destroyed when I set it down on a wet counter.

I did get lucky, I had printed it out to go buy the ingredients and lost that copy. I was straightening up my brew closet and found the lost copy. Lucky me.

I will now print every recipe for now on.

Think losing 1 recipes sucks try losing every recipe from dec26 2009 to Dec 27, 2010:confused:

Due to software screw-up I lost 50-60 recipes.

Ouch, that sucks. Working in an industry where without redundant backups would be catastrophic to many, many people. I always say multiple backups, multiple locations. That's why we have at least two operational datacenters.
It doesn't help, though, if you don't write the information down. I'm notorious for not getting my own information in the first place. After that, I'm fine with the backups.

I write down what I am doing then type it up in word. I also save it on hopville's website so as to get all the pertinent info such as OG, IBU's etc...

I write down what I am doing then type it up in word. I also save it on hopville's website so as to get all the pertinent info such as OG, IBU's etc...

I use Beer Calculus on Hopville all the time and dont really see any need to do the first 2 steps you are doing with writing it down or typing it out on word.

To each their own. Writing it down is a rough draft. Saving it on and offline is a way of having a back up in case my computer crashes or their server does. Or what if they ever went offline? There is nothing wrong with taking precautions.

To each their own. Writing it down is a rough draft. Saving it on and offline is a way of having a back up in case my computer crashes or their server does. Or what if they ever went offline? There is nothing wrong with taking precautions.

No, there is nothing wrong with it at all if that is your process. I was just pointing out for me it is easier to just put all the info on Hopville, put any notes in the comments section then just print it out if I want a hard copy. It's awesome software, especially for free.

I always say multiple backups, multiple locations. That's why we have at least two operational datacenters.

Same here, backups,backups,backups... but the version of win 7 ultimate I had was buggy with promash. I would do backups- burn recipe folder to disk only to find the recipes not there.

All gone, every "backup" is missing the recipes created or modified since installing win 7 ultimate.

To give an idea of just how many I know were lost checkout my post @ AHA forum>
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=5190.msg61010#msg61010

Whats funny is win 7 on my netbook works fine with promash recipes, its just freakin odd.
But hey better to lose only 1 yr of recipes.... :roll:

Now its all done on Ubuntu & wine > burned to disk and saved txt file sent to email account.

Latest posts

Back