Are you really a home brewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I brewed my wife didn't want me to brew at home, so brewed and fermented in the kitchen at our church. We have "homebrew contests" at our church. It's fun! Your church should try it sometime!
I now brew at home in our kitchen. I can monitor it better that way.

I currently brew in the kitchen, with all my brew gear stored in my 'lab' in the basement; this is also where my carboys end up.

However, due to the rising problem of 'hops giving SWMBO migraines during the boil', I'll have to get my outdoor burner sooner then anticipated. Means Spring through Fall I'll be brewing outdoors; and in winter months limited to either ciders, meads, or brewing on days she's not home.

Does the laundry room count?

When we looked at / bought this house a couple months ago, plotting out where the brewing would happen was a fairly high priority. We have quite a few carboys going, so we sort of planned around it:

"Hey, here's a water hookup and utility sink! We should put the brew room here. Oh, and probably the laundry machines too".

I'm usually a "garage brewer" but sometimes in the dead of winter I do everything except the boil in the kitchen.

Once time I took my stuff along in the RV and brewed a Centennial Blonde at the campsite. Since I had all my ducks in a row ahead of time, it was the quickest AG brewday I ever had!

I do all the brew kettle stuff in the kitchen on an electric stove. The rest is done on an old,large printer stand next to my computer desk. Temps are easy to maintain in this particular room. Just gotta guard against blow offs!

Back