Are you guys for real?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to keep Millerlite in the beer fridge for SWMBO so I have no problem picking up some bud product to go along with it. I am not a fan of miller but in a pinch. My family growing up drank bud by the truckload, so it is sort of inngrained (sp) in my blood. I say drink what you like and who cares what everyone else says about it. If I like it Ill drink it. If it is free, Ill drink it. If Im thirsty then guess what Ill drink it.

SD

I didn't mean anyone any disrespect. My preference lies in pretty much any craft beers, and home brew.
I can handle some Coors products, and I have pounded enough Keystone Light in my life to float a small Yacht.
The reason I ask...is I sometime get caught up in the moment and Bash the 'ol BMC, but really for no good reason. I like some I dislike some. I don't care for Miller anything, and I despise Bud Light (Plastic Labels and all). But the fact is, If I need to take a 12 pack to a ball game, I cant' afford $20.00 of craft beer when Coors light is on sale for $17.00 for 24 and they will dump a scoop of ice in the box for me.

Again to everyone that seemed a bit miffed. I don't mean any disrespect. I intend to share a craft beer with anyone of you...self proclaimed beer snob or not...( I think I might be an aspiring beer snob?)

I like a little Silver Bullet on gameday. The problem I have with BMC is the farking awful hangover. I can drink a lot of homebrew and still be fairly spry in the AM. Six bullets and I am draggin my wagon.

Oh, yes, and Phat Tyre must die.

{gathering forces in Ft. Collins}

Beer snobs should seriously just drink wine. And, anyone who loves beer and knows it well can taste the difference between all the cheap ones as well as all the good ones. I love how people talk about all the nuances in a complex beer then say all cheap beer tastes the same to them.

Seriously? They talk about the nuances of a complex beer because it has those flavors, whereas BMC strive to eliminate those flavors.

Personally, I think there is a little bit of a flavor difference between Miller products and AB products. I'll drink either, but prefer AB products over the other. I don't like nearly all Coors products (Blue Moon is fine). I like Dox Equis, and think it's an alright beer. I will absolutely not drink a Corona. I think it tastes like it was brewed in a urinal and have routinely opted not to drink a FREE Corona for ANYTHING else to drink.

And, I'm not a beer snob eithe and routinely drink Natty Light and Old Style.

I like Straub's on a hot day. It's a good lawnmower beer and cheap. I honestly don't care what people eat or drink. That's up to them. The way I view it is, if a higher quality product is available and affordable then why settle for something less (barring ease of access)? Why buy store Tomatoes when the ones I grow are far superior..etc?

Not a beer snob, but I'll take water thanks.

I think it's just that I really like beer.

And what's wrong with New Belgium and fat tire? Is it they're getting popular? Or did they go sell out?

Me? yep, I really do like xx amber and I don't like to drink bud/coors. I'd never turn one down if someone was offering one to me, but given the choice I'll always lean toward some color/flavor. But then it may be due to that lime wedge ~ I don't like Corona though. You do make a girl think. Maybe the reason is because I like how it looks? I do tend to like the less "hoppy"? (bitter) beers better. But if you gave me a choice between a guiness stout and a coors light, I would have the guiness. Good gawd, sounds like I've had a few! HAHA

I have to be honest. I will bash BMC in the company of people who are doing the same thing. Since I normally only drink beer with people whose tastes mirror mine, it's probably a more common event to bash BMC. (Now if I were hanging out with a bunch of BMC drinkers, I would likely keep my opinions to myself, but if I know in advance beer is going to be served I will brink a 6-12 pack of something spendier to at least have it as an option).

Yes I have said things like Budweiser is water that someone showed a picture of a hop to, and that it shat itself, but only in the correct company.

Modelo Negro - gee, something I've had in the last three years! In a Tex-mex place, of course.

I'll also admit to a Hamm's Light, drunk last summer while tree rustling with my neighbor.

A couple of months ago I went straight from a Belgian beer festival in baltimore to a party that only had miller and bud. I had to stop drinking because after such intense beers the american light lagers were making me nauseous from their bland taste. I haven't had one since then and hopefully never will.

homebrewers love to hate BMC. Its the cool thing to do. Like they could do a better job or something. Im a firm believer in theres a style for every situation though.

I do drink swill on occasion. In order to mass produce a clean and crisp beer in that style and not have and imperfections show up is a feat in itself. And to do that on that large of a scale is amazing. Plus here in Arizona, come summertime you want something light and ice cold.

So you don't like American Lagers. Who cares......just don't bash it cause your following the herd. I dont like sour, strong, or Belgian beers. Not my cup of tea. But I dont bash those styles just becasue i dont care for them.

And what's wrong with New Belgium and fat tire? Is it they're getting popular? Or did they go sell out?

Just a joke, just a joke:D I'm not a huge fan of their beers, esp Fat Tire.

However, as ollllo alluded to, New Belgium does operate entirely on solar and wind power, which is pretty cool.

homebrewers love to hate BMC. Its the cool thing to do. Like they could do a better job or something. Im a firm believer in theres a style for every situation though.

I do drink swill on occasion. In order to mass produce a clean and crisp beer in that style and not have and imperfections show up is a feat in itself. And to do that on that large of a scale is amazing. Plus here in Arizona, come summertime you want something light and ice cold.

So you don't like American Lagers. Who cares......just don't bash it cause your following the herd. I dont like sour, strong, or Belgian beers. Not my cup of tea. But I dont bash those styles just becasue i dont care for them.

Wait, you mean to tell me that everyone on HBT doesn't fall out of their chairs laughing whenever someone makes another BMC=piss joke? :confused:

It's like the word 'boobies' - it isn't socially acceptable, but you still snicker like a 9 year old when you hear it.

Same thing with BMC=piss jokes.

Or a good fart sound...

There...now we're on a topic I can relate to... :D

Fart sounds bring Men together. From the pennyless 5 year old on the corner drinking the last drops of sugar water out of the plastic freezerpop tube to the millionaire in his mansion on the hill smoking a $30 cigar and drinking a 15 year old Glenfiddig....

When someone rips off a big old butt cheek smacking stinky ass gas cloud of a air Biscuit...

If you're a man...You're going to smile.

I never liked Coors, will opt for Ice Tea or water if offered a BMC or Mexican light Lager. I also don't do stouts or barley wines. Beer snob? maybe, but usually have MGD in the fridge for my friends that like it. I drink and brew what I like.

To each his own. Before I got into craft beer I drank alot of Bud and MGD, I like Sam Adams, many here don't.

I don't have the desire to control other people so I really could care less if they wanted to drink fermented beet juice. Myself on the other hand, I don't drink BMC because it's not worth the calories, to be honest, as homebrewing has added enough weight to me as it is.

I am no BMC hater but Bud, Coors, Miller, or many of the offshoots are not my first chioce.

Funny story, kinda. We started a new segment at our club, eqach month at meetings a member doctors a pitcher of beer and passes it around. We have to identify the off character. Twp pitchers are presented, one is doctored the other is not. The beer is of course budweiser. Last months was skunked and it was actually surprising how much better it was than the non-skunked beer. For me, it was because the adjunct aroma of Budweiser is unappealing and the skunkiness actually covered that up.

I have had my share of american ligh lagers... and drank them without a problem until I ventured into craft brewing and micros... now going back to BCM seems rediculous. My wife drinks it, I have no problem with that, but when I take a swig of it, it seems wholly unfulfilling. I never buy beer anymore unless it is some strange concoction or IPA... I wont waste my money on carbed water when I have the ABILITY to brew something better for less!

i just want to go on the record and say that anything Chelada Style nulls and voids my semi defending of BMC. When I sometimes stand up for them it's more of defending the brewers and noone else. And yes when corporate comes up with these duschebag ideas, the brewers have no other choice but to brew it.

Basically screw the corporate side......props to the brewers

cheers

Just like different styles of beer pair well with different styles of food, I think different styles pair well with different life situations.

If I'm about to start in this weekend's Snapper 500, I grab a few BL's and ice 'em down on a cooler on my tailgate so I can snag one as I make another lap. In this case, light, cold, alcoholic, screw top, and cheap (for when it spills) are important. Since it will be polluted with sweat, dust, and dirt flavor isn't a big issue. I Love my HB, but no way I'm sporting a mug and making trips to the keezer.*

If I'm at the beach all hot, sweaty, and covered in sand, there's just something about a cool breeze, a thatch roof, a little Buffet, and a Corona w/ lime that just makes reality melt away for awhile.

Finally, I LIKE Miller Lite at a ball game. Is it a great beer? No, and the hot dogs aren't all that great either. But put them all together; The game, the fans, plastic cups full of half-warm ML, a couple of not-so-safe looking hot dogs and you have a thing of beauty.

Now, If I'm at home eating dinner or on the back deck with friends and family relaxing am I going to go snag a BL or Corona from the garage fridge? No way, I'm tapping the HB in the keezer.

I'm not a real beer snob- but there are some beers I just don't care for. I have gone out for a fish fry on a Friday night in Wisconsin, and had only Bud or Miller to choose from. I took water. I don't bash BMC in the slightest- I just don't like it. I don't like Corona either, though, but that is my best friend's favorite beer. I don't like sour beers, or wheat beers either. I will enjoy a Leine's Honey Weiss, though, if someone gives me one on a super hot day.

If I was out and given a choice between Bud, Blue Moon, or Coors, I'd drink a Beefeater martini- dry, with extra olives.

It's not bashing, any more than sipping some of Sause's sour beer and disliking it is bashing. (Sorry, Sause, that "apple cider" you paid $20 was not my thing!)

I do agree though that every time a noobie posts, "How can I make a BMC clone?", the jokes about "Piss in a bottle.......Wave hops over the top.......get good beer and water it down...." etc. are WAY overdone and should stop. People like what they like. It's not our job to tell them they are wrong to enjoy a well made American lager.

I was thinking about this in Yuri's "Shock Top" thread, and think the whole contempt is not necessarily totally rooted in the product itself but more of what it represents.

I was thinking about this in Yuri's "Shock Top" thread, and think the whole contempt is not necessarily totally rooted in the product itself but more of what it represents.

Now I think you're getting to what this whole discussion is boiling down to.
There are the craftsmen that build the beer, and there are the people that enjoy the beer. As home brewers, we are amongst the select few that get to participate in both.
I'd drink a Beefeater martini- dry, with extra olives.
Yoop....Do you really prefer the Beefeater to a Bombay?

Beer snobs should seriously just drink wine. And, anyone who loves beer and knows it well can taste the difference between all the cheap ones as well as all the good ones. I love how people talk about all the nuances in a complex beer then say all cheap beer tastes the same to them.

The only beer related product I enjoy less than BMC are people who berate "beer snobs". Most "beer snobs" myself included can probably still drink you under the table with BMC products. I would like to see anyone walk into the Kutze tap (local towny bar I frequent) and try ordering some fancy beer. "Drink a Miller, or get the hell out!" :D

My problem is with people, who are on a beer forum, and then attempt to belittle people who are into their beer. Yes beers do have subtle nuances and incredibly complex flavors. Yes every BMC beer is different. No, none of them are complex or have nuances worth talking about. Yes, one could drink miller lite indefinitely without becoming overly intoxicated (which is nice sometimes).

Without what you call "beer snobs" the craft beer world would be no-where near where it is today. Seriously, if you drink enough beer and really spend the time to get to know each beer, you too would be a "beer snob". Then you can tell yourself to drink wine with a negative connotation.

Also, wine is fantastic, I drink wine as often as I can. The subtleties of wine far surpass beer, a fact that make it both better and worse, or just delicious.

O.K. rant over, I just had to get that off my chest. If I sound like an EAC, fine, bite me, while I drink a Gueze and tell you your BMC makes my ass twitch!

When drinking to get drunk quickly and cheaply, National Bohemian (thanks 98EXL). It's cheaper than BMC and just as bad.

I don't drink BMC simply because there are better options depending on why I'm drinking. Can I drink BMC, sure.

lately Ive been picking up a 12er everytime im at the grocery store of DB Hobbs Golden Ale out of Milwaukee. At 5.99 a 12 pack its great now that the weather is heating up ;)

I don't necessarily like BMC, but Corona on a 100F+ day isn't bad. I'd never buy it myself, but my mother in law brings some over every now and then, and I've got friends who like it. I make a point never to turn down free beer, unless it's REALLY bad. This is especially true on a poker night, at the river, or when I'm really wanting to make some bad decisions!

Honestly, I try not to drink anything mainstream or commercial. Yeah, sometimes I imbibed a Guinness or a Sam Adams, but mostly its really small micro brews, really good regional brews, of New Hampshire/New England based brews.

I'm a punk.

Sean

Back