Are you getting fat from HB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the quality of your beer reflected on your waistline?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
No not gettng...already GOT. :D

This isn't me, but it does come close to my six pack abs....

six-pack-tattoo.jpg

:D

when I first started the hobby, beer on tap was like a dream come true and I gained a bit of weight... But I have since dialed back my consumption so it no longer makes my pants tight...

Thus far I havent gained any weight, pretty active all day long at work, I take the dogs for a 1 mile jog every morning before work. This keeps me on an even keel, of course I could weigh less without the HB intake. So far the excercise is balancing out the beer and I'm ok with that!

My new year's resolution for last year was to get fatter, same as it is for this year.

Success!

I'm all about upping my self-esteem through easily attainable goals. ;)

No, I started going to the gym a lot more last year. So, I have actually lost weight since I started brewing... Then again, I barely drink at all during the week.

However, I could lose weight a LOT faster if I didn't have a kegerator with 3 beers on tap.

Anyone read the beergut article in the last Zymurgy?

Says that beer, in itslef, has no correlation to waistline size. Or, that beer alone does not create the "beer gut". Overconsumption of anything has the effect.

Just saying. As for me, I have actually lost weight. Down to 198 from 250 in less than 6 months with no reduction in beer consumption (I don't drink much to begin with).

I have put on 10 lbs in 3 months, but I am still new to the hobby. I am sure I will dial it back a bit eventually. I have always been a scrawny little cuss, so my wife loves the new, kinda squishy me.

Not at all. I've certainly seen it happen to other people. Of course, at 57 I'm much more aware of weight gain than the average HBT member and don't over do it.

I was fat before I started. Haven't lost, haven't gained.

My new years resolution. Lose weight and drink more beer. (laying off the snacks with beer though)

Anyone read the beergut article in the last Zymurgy?

Says that beer, in itslef, has no correlation to waistline size. Or, that beer alone does not create the "beer gut". Overconsumption of anything has the effect.

First thing I thought about as well...

Too much of anything without burning those calories makes you chubby. Too much of any good thing is a bad thing...

... beer, in itslef, has no correlation to waistline size. Or, that beer alone does not create the "beer gut". Overconsumption of anything has the effect....

Too much of anything without burning those calories makes you chubby. Too much of any good thing is a bad thing...

QFT.

I exercise so I can drink more beer [commercial and homebrew]

I also think drinking homebrew has changed the way I drink beer.... as a BMC'er would probably pound 5 beers during a Sunday football game, I am happy to try 2 really good ones and note the flavors changes as you drink a HB beer.

BUT I will also say that I drink more often currently... one or two a day... vs. the binge weekends.

I've joined a hellth club since my brewing buddy was diagnosed with heart disease at 34 and gave me all his half of the beers we've been making. Still wants to do the hobby so that's cool too. I needed an incentive to get back to the gym.

I also have found I like making salsa too now and that just marries up with chips like chocolate and peanut butter. I just made a batch today too.

I do like to have fewer good beers than a ton of yellow, needs to be ice cold, "Ish" that's good beers. Really liking the NB SH2B kit and have made 4 batches of that.

Last year I would drink about 2 beers a day. Thats what it would average out to at least. And I don't know if you've ever checked out the amount of calories in the beers we drink but... its a lot! I was putting away 3500-4500 calories per week. Thats 14,000-18,000 calories per month in beer alone! I've cut back since then, but its really easy to throw back a few days worth of calories w/out even trying.

My crappy work schedule has more to do with my slight weight gain than my beer consumption.

That said, I need to exercise more and not eat after I get home from work.

Or win the lottery and get a proper schedule. :)

Nope... I was already fat before I started homebrewing.

Well I dont think I am fat as I am about 176. I have grown some what of a beer gut but I had that before I started brewing.

When I move to San Diego I plan to join a gym and start being more active.

I have learned as long as you eat right, stay ative, you can drink here and there and should not have a problem.

i go to the gym everyday and run or ruck march every other day. i also have a very fast metabolism so i got that working in my favor.

Back