are they similar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrewertodd

Reaction score
Hi. I'm trying to convert an all grain to extract and specialties. My problem is I can't find an extract version for the base grain. Its Belgian pils. Now, I think I found two that are close, and I need to know if either is close to the original. First, I found a Belgian extract, but its made with Belgian two row. The second is a pilsner extract. Which one is closer? I'm thinking the two row, but how much different is the two row than the Belgian pils? Thanks for any help.

Todd

Pilsner has a distinctive flavor, so I think you would be better off with the pilsner extract. What is the recipe?

It's a mad elf clone. I'm having a Hell of a time getting everything together. And, I have to get it together by august. The yeast I use is only available in Aug. And Sept.

Belgian Pils is a Pilsner base malt that was grown in Belgum. If what you found is marked as Beligian extract, it is probably something similar to this http://www.williamsbrewing.com/BELGIAN-PALE-EXTRACT-6-LBS-P2378C99.aspx Which is 90% Belgian two-row and 10%. Which is probably not what you want. Going with a "pilsner extract", even if it's not specifically "Belgian" is probably a better choice.

...or you could go AG. BIAB an option maybe?

Ok, that is the exact extract I found on Williams brewing web site. So two row isn't like a pilsner. So. I will go with the pilsner extract. Thanks.

Back