Are people like Palmer the Hombrew Police?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seabrew8

Reaction score
thoughts? Very solid information mostly but then there's some huge "do not" or "do" rule. Like your batch would be subpar or worst if you don't hydrate your yeast is one of many examples. Primary for relatively too long another one that might infect the beer or something. And Sanitation! Number 1 prize of the homebrew police lol

The "rules" you mention have a factual basis but they don't have to be held to quite as ridgedly as some would state. To make the "best beer" does require a certain range of yeast cells but maybe it requires someone with a very refined palate to tell the difference. Leaving beer in the primary too long can lead to autolysis but it might take much longer than most of us are willing to wait. However, sanitation is a strict rule as we intend to leave our beers for a very (relative) long time before drinking. Try leaving something in your refrigerator for 2 weeks and see if it doesn't grow something but we usually leave beer in the fermenter for that long or longer.

I notice less lag time if I rehydrate dry yeast, but haven't done any side by side tests to see if the beer is any better/worse compared to just throwing it in.
The same with letting it sit in the carboy longer than it should.
The best way to go is the way that works for you, your equipment and your available free time. The bottom line is do you like the finished beer.

Palmer is a super nice guy- and he'd be abashed to be referred to as "Homebrew Police". He's been one of the people who encouraged us to give it a try, and would be the first to tell you it's not rocket science (although, he is a scientist/engineer). He's friendly and open, and definitely not a guy who tells you things have to be a certain way.

I think there is a big distinction between a dogmatic statement and a best practice type of recommendation.

I would hardly call someone with more experience than I, offering up knowledge and advice on how to make better brew, the "homebrew police".

Some of the DO NOT or you have to DO... Was very rigid in the past based on the knowledge at the time and has become less so over time. For instance, Palmer updated his online "How to Brew" when he expanded on it an published the book. I don't see the advise of do this or don't do this as being "policing".

Maybe not the police, but generally helpful advice. There are hardly any hard and fast rules in homebrewing. Some "Best Practices" can change over time as experiments, studies, and information come around. When Palmer wrote his first How to Brew, he gave the best information he could at the time. Since then perhaps a couple of techniques have come to be known as less critical to the success of the batch, but Palmer is no different than most experienced homebrewers at the time.

I honestly didn't see much hard and fast rules in his book. I keep a copy for reference, but rely on many sources of information for guidance. I think he did a great job of giving some solid brewing advice in a fairly informative, scientific, and straightforward manner.

Papazian had a laid-back manner to his book. Mosher had an intriguing way of keeping his presentation light and engaging. All homebrew writers are different, and so are the many ways you can succeed at brewing at home.

I have his How to brew book.I haven't looked at in years..I thought that some of his older practices have been proven wrong/unnecesary ??? HBT for the latest and greatest info!

Palmer offers great advice. You can't go wrong much if you follow it. If you laugh it off as completely meaningless, you may run into problems.

Either way, it's your beer. Do what you want. There are no "Homebrew Police" that are going to come to your house and confiscate all your gear because you left your beer in primary too long and ended up with some funky flavors.

Relax, have a homebrew.

I think you're confusing police with decades of experience that results in helpful advice.

there is a difference between advice, and TELLING you what to do. The three examples in the OP are like kinda guidlines that are not all that big of a deal. definitely not YOU MUST DO THIS TO A T rules that will ruin beer if you dont. Sanitation, for one, is something taken way over board by people, and its just not as important as most make it out to be. i swoosh some star san around in my fermenter for a min., dip my air lock in some for a few seconds, and swoosh some in my keg for a few seconds before transfer, and thats about it. I have NEVER had an infected beer in over 100 batches.

I read Palmer's "How to Brew" front to back before buying a single ingredient or piece of gear.

The cover of that book presents the aspiring homebrewer with a compelling sales pitch: "Everything you need to know to brew beer right the first time."

I can vouch for the legitimacy of that sales pitch. My first batch (a stout) turned out well beyond "drinkable," to a point where I was hard-pressed to name a single thing I would change about it. I'm certain that level of success would not have been possible had I not invested the time to read the Palmer book before getting started.

Still, through that book, interviews with him that I've heard on podcasts, youtube videos, etc. the message I get from him is more along the lines of "I'll explain what I believe to be the absolute most ideal way of doing things based on my current understanding, but ultimately it's up to you to decide what steps are worth it and what ones aren't--do what works for you."

The brewing police--if such an entity exists--is, IMO, better exemplified in the archetype of the dogmatic internet forum blowhard who seems to derive just a little bit too much enjoyment from telling people what they're doing wrong.

The brewing police--if such an entity exists--is, IMO, better exemplified in the archetype of the dogmatic internet forum blowhard who seems to derive just a little bit too much enjoyment from telling people what they're doing wrong.

And he best part about it is that sort of "brewing police" still has no power whatsoever to enforce their silliness other than the power anybody gives up to them.

In the end, it's still your beer. Do what you want.

Relax and have a home brew.

Palmer is a super nice guy- and he'd be abashed to be referred to as "Homebrew Police". He's been one of the people who encouraged us to give it a try, and would be the first to tell you it's not rocket science (although, he is a scientist/engineer). He's friendly and open, and definitely not a guy who tells you things have to be a certain way.

I think there is a big distinction between a dogmatic statement and a best practice type of recommendation.

Yeah he does seem like a good guy in his videos. I actually asked the admin to delete this post! :) Hes done WAY more good in the homebrew internet world then bad.

And your right about dogmatic - thats where i was coming from too after i reflect now. I don't believe he's dogmatic.

Cheers to Palmer! And to Homebrew!

Yeah he does seem like a good guy in his videos. I actually asked the admin to delete this post! :)

Sorry, it's the policy of Management to allow threads like this to fester in your brain...forever.

Hes done WAY more good in the homebrew internet world then bad.

I'm sure John feels the same about you....maybe...

Cheers! :rolleyes:

Yeah he does seem like a good guy in his videos. I actually asked the admin to delete this post! :) Hes done WAY more good in the homebrew internet world then bad.

And your right about dogmatic - thats where i was coming from too after i reflect now. I don't believe he's dogmatic.

Cheers to Palmer! And to Homebrew!

I'll tell him you said so when I see him the next time.

Actually, no I probably won't. I'll probably forget and talk about something else. I drink you know. :D

I'll tell him you said so when I see him the next time.

Actually, no I probably won't. I'll probably forget and talk about something else. I drink you know. :D

Yeah, i've been on a bender for 3 days haha! I love beer it actually makes me happy. Its weird when i tell people that. I don't get hangovers much either.

I do understand the argument of the "homebrew police" when talking about How to brew or any of there first-timer type books. To me, it's quite important to have some hard and fast rules when learning something, especially something as technical as brewing beer. How to brew was my first book on brewing, and really helped me dial down my process and have very good beer from the first few batches. However, I do think such influencial works that present hard rules do tend to influence homebrewers in the way they do things. It's like everything is pre-digested, we don't have to think. That's where I find the folks at Brulosophy and Experimental Brewing can help us adress the right questions and try new things.

However, I do think such influencial works that present hard rules do tend to influence homebrewers in the way they do things. It's like everything is pre-digested, we don't have to think. That's where I find the folks at Brulosophy and Experimental Brewing can help us adress the right questions and try new things.

Yeah i like Brulosophy. I did find using gelatin in the keg better however.

Not like that guy who advised putting lotion on your hands and arms when brewing to prevent bacteria from flying off your skin and into your beer.

tumblr_m1kbwy5QXA1rpto9ao1_500.gif

thoughts? Very solid information mostly but then there's some huge "do not" or "do" rule. Like your batch would be subpar or worst if you don't hydrate your yeast is one of many examples. Primary for relatively too long another one that might infect the beer or something. And Sanitation! Number 1 prize of the homebrew police lol

More of a homebrew lifeguard.

Yeah i like Brulosophy. I did find using gelatin in the keg better however.

Well I heard people say they don't 'believe' in Brulosophy outcomes because of some of those dogmas. DMS when boiling with the lid on for instance. He must not have done it right! Those people are the Homebrew Inquisition rather than police.

I have definitely seen some "homebrew police" out there but I think of Palmer as a passionate tutor. Similar to studying under a seasoned college professor, you won't follow their teachings to an exact but you would never be your personal best without their strict curriculum.

Weird. I always found his book incredibly helpful in that way an engineer designs useful instructions. "Here's how to build it so it doesn't fall down" in the first three pages and then if you care about physics, 300 pages of detailed formula to peruse. Never saw it as dogmatic.

Then again I just blew up five gallons of hefewesten so maybe I could use a little dogma.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the "do's" and "don'ts" are there to ensure that the beginning homebrewer has the best chance of a successful start.

Some "conventional wisdom" has, for the most part, been refuted by experiments and new approaches. When I started (just about a year ago), I was taken aback by the complication that fly sparging appears to present. Now you can do batch sparge or even no sparge, and still get great beer. But at the time, I found this all to be somewhat complicated. New jargon (sparge, strike, mash tun, liquor, refractometer, hydrometer, and there are about 88 more), complicated process, water adjustments, PH, heck, there is a ton of stuff to learn.

That's why I like it, by the way: the challenge to understand and brew what I hope is great beer.

But if I were helping someone start out, I'd simplify a lot: here, use this water, do this in your mash tun, boil like so, and so on. I'd try to get them through the process in a way where they aren't having to make a ton of decisions, any one of which SEEMS like it could be a mistake if done wrong.

I know--now--that homebrewing is more forgiving than it appears, but when starting out, who knows or believes that?

So I celebrate Palmer for being one of the guys who's helped this all move forward. Next time, Mr. Palmer, I have a beer I'll hoist one in your honor. And no policing involved. :)

Back