Are old grains usable or should I toss them?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyllstromk

Reaction score
I have a sack of 2row grains (uncrushed). It was not vacuum sealed nor is it particularly air tight. The sack is now about 2 years old. It's about 20 lbs left and I would prefer not to waste it if it's still viable. Can I still use the grains?

If you see no evidence of insect activity, I would crush some, then smell and taste it. The oils can become rancid, if its bad it should smell/taste bad. If its ok id try it.

As Erik said, just taste it. No need to crush it first though, IMO. Just pop a few grains in your mouth and eat them...

I actually do this with ALL my grain, even (or rather, ESPECIALLY) when I know it's fresh, to better understand the ingredients I'm working with.

I had some 4 year old wheat malt (less than 1lb.) that I had kept dry and in a freezer. I took it out last night and decided to taste it to see if I could just throw it in a batch I am preparing soon. Smelled fine, but had a stale taste. Now my son's gerbils love me!

Back