Are my taste buds broken???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Recusit8m

Reaction score
Hello again all...Just a quick question to pose for all of you with a bit of levity thrown in..."Are my tastes buds broken?"...What I mean is this, I have been brewing for about 9mo now and have about 12 batches under my belt...I have kegged as well as bottled and have switched to all grain over the past 3-4 batches...I have seen alot of people put posts up here in regards to throwing batches down the drain due to beer not being drinkable...I have made a ton of mistakes such as boil overs, slow fermentations, temperature fluctuations (not drastic 62-72ish), even dropped my wedding ring in a batch, but I dont think I have ever had a batch worthy of giving such an uncaring death like pouring out...I mean does ones beer just taste like absolute toejam, or is it the point where you are just overeager to throw it out rather than sit on it for a while and see what the outcome is? Now I know we are impatient and we over critique ourselves to the perfectionist state...I think we have all seen the posts in regards to "HOLY CRAP, its been 15 minutes and my airlock is not bubbling" or the "I missed my Mash Temp by .25 degrees"...I myself have posted an airlock question...I write this not because I dont care about my beer, but I still feel my beer is EONS better than any other commercial simply for the fact that I, myself made it...It may not be worthy of GABF ribbons or Jamil giving me his praises but its all mine and I will consume it...If I have any questions regarding an off flavor, I bottle it rest it and try again in a month, same taste give it 3 more months...etc etc...Or ill take it to my monthly meetings and let a few other members taste it and see what they think...Well thats my 2 cents worth of rambling...RDWHAHB...:mug:

I'm about as new a brewer as you and have made many mistakes and like you I have never thrown a batch out. My honey porter tasted like cough medicine for a while but now it is tasting good and people are requesting it 4 months in.

I try to brew 1 batch outside of my comfort zone for every 2 batches in my wheelhouse. Although the changing over to partial and all grain everything is all of a sudden outside my comfort zone...

I agree totally, let it grow let it grow... never chuck it out, you are wasting alcohol!

:mug:

Well, for me it depends on keg rotation I suppose. I have thrown batches out, and I have had batches win 1st and BOS. If it tastes like crap for me and I'm sure it wont get any better, if I need the keg, out it goes. good beer, bad beer, if I need it, I get it!

Back