Are my hops stale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esvoytko

Reaction score
Hello all! Rookie brewer here who just received my first ever batch of ingredients. Because I am new and still in worry-wort (ha!) mode, I wanted to get some feedback on the freshness of my hops. They are a lot more straw-colored than I thought they'd be, but I don't know if that's normal.

myhops.jpg

These are Kent Goldings from HopUnion, just opened from a nitrogen-flushed bag. Ordered from Northern Brewer. That is a white plate for reference.

Is this what they're supposed to look like? Is it out of the ordinary to receive stale hops in a sealed bag? And can anybody elaborate on what they should smell like - all I've heard is that stale hops smell "cheesy," which is kind of vague.

Thanks!

They look ok. I'm assuming they were vacuum sealed and tightly packed.

They should smell good. "Cheesy" is a great description of bad hops- if they smell that way, you'll know it. They shouldn't be very "grassy" smelling, but instead they should smell fresh and maybe a bit earthy/floral.

They should smell great and make you itch to brew something! If not, then they might be old, but I doubt it. NB does enough volume I can't imagine they'd have hops just sitting on a shelf for months. They look exactly like the EKG I used a couple of weeks ago, if that helps.

They look fine to me. Before I ever seen them, I thought they should be really green and shaped like pinecones, Nothing like they really look like. The easiest way I can think of to describe the smell would be like sniffing an IPA. Very bright, fresh. maybe a little piney.

Red Green? I should find a pic of Harold for mine.

They look ok. I'm assuming they were vacuum sealed and tightly packed.

They should smell good. "Cheesy" is a great description of bad hops- if they smell that way, you'll know it. They shouldn't be very "grassy" smelling, but instead they should smell fresh and maybe a bit earthy/floral.

Thanks for the help everyone. I guess I was just expecting them to be much greener.

As for the scent, I can't say it is as bright, floral, or enjoyable as sniffing a good IPA. But I can't say it smells like "cheese and ass" either. Somewhere in between is okay I hope!

EKG should mainly smell like herbs & lemon grass. Just a touch of floral. The color looks about the same as my hop union EKG & Willamette looked...maybe a hair lighter. I got mine from Midwest & kept them in the freezer in zip lock freezer bags.

Latest posts

Back