Are my bottles gonna blow?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattWright

Reaction score
I'm very new to homebrewing and am still using the Mr. Beer I got for Xmas (go ahead and laugh.) In an effort to improve on their beginner methods I decided to cold crash my second batch before bottling however I still followed their guidelines for priming sugar (3/4 teaspoon per 12 oz bottle.) My concern is that the liquid will expand as it warms and make extra pressure causing my bottles to go KABOOM! Could this be the case or am I just over thinking this? If I am in deep water is there anything I can do to fix my mistake? (release pressure and re-cap or re-prime?) Any input would be great!

You're over thinking this...Just relax, put the bottles someplace above 70 degrees and check on them in 4 weeks (if you're using those large plastic PET bottles that come with most mr beer kits) or 3 weeks if using regular 12 ounce glass bottles.

If you are using the PET bottles they can handle a lot more carbonation than glass. Soda is carbed to a lot higher volume than beer and those bottles hold fine.

You're fine using glass either way but with the PET bottles you have even less to worry about.

Latest posts

Back