Are more expensive kits worth the cost?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canuckmug

Reaction score
I'm going to be starting my second batch of beer as I only have one left from my first. I'm going to use a kit because I'm still a noob, and grains are harder and more expensive to get here than elsewhere. I can by a canned kit, you know the concentrate in the tall heavy cans. But I can also purchase the kits in a box. Basically it's a bag with what I'm guessing is unconcentrated wort. The box type is over three times as expensive as the can. Can anyone tell me if the box kits tastes any better than the canned stuff?

If I understand what you're talking about, the canned ones are cheaper because you add your own table sugar. This doesn't benefit the beer, which is better with all (or almost all) malt. So a lot of people buy the canned kits and then buy Dried Extract to use.

Un-concentrated wort is probably the Brewhouse Kits or Festa brew (sp?). These are popular in Canada and are generally better than canned kits. But 3x the price? That's huge.

If I were in your situation, I would probably just buy 2 of the cans and call it a day. That way you can get more flavor in there without adding so much corn sugar and you don't have to spend as much as a festabrew kit.

Yes Brewhouse brand was the type i was considering. They are $35 for the kit. I have found another brand of boxed kits for $50. The canned ones are about $13 not including the price of corn sugar they call for. I like the sound of not using the corn sugar so i think I will go with the boxed kind.

Canned kits? I thought the cans just have liquid malt extract. One could just get a few more cans and bump up gravity that way without ever adding sugar or dextrose. Unless you're talking about prehopped malt extract...I've never dealt with that stuff.

The boxed kits should yield a superior product, you are getting:

- separate hops instead of getting hopped extract
- steeping grains
- most likely a better yeast
- no corn sugar required (which will thin out the final product)

With the cans, the extract itself is hopped so you don't need to add them yourself during the boil. This makes it easier, but I think the experience is less rewarding and less fun then the extract/separate hops/steeping grain method.

Adding a second can of the hopped extract will also give you a wonky brew, as you will be getting double the hops and double the specialty grains that the kit's creator expects for 5 gallons. If you went down the path of replacing the corn sugar (a noble goal), I'd try an unhopped can of light LME or some light DME.

RIT,

Those aren't the sort of boxed kits he's looking at. He has the wort-in-a-bag kits. Same concept canned kits (just add water and yeast), except better quality because the wort is only slightly condensed.

Extract + specialty grain kits (Brewer's Best, True Brew, AHS, Northern Brewer...) are of course a good choice. Cost would be in between the two other options.

RIT,

Those aren't the sort of boxed kits he's looking at. He has the wort-in-a-bag kits. Same concept canned kits (just add water and yeast), except better quality because the wort is only slightly condensed.

Extract + specialty grain kits (Brewer's Best, True Brew, AHS, Northern Brewer...) are of course a good choice. Cost would be in between the two other options.

Ah, serves me right for not reading the OP carefully enough. I've never even heard of the "wort in a box" kits before....I guess it is like homebrewing franzia?

But I stand by my advice...the extract/steeping grain/separate hops kits will improve your brews while being more fun.

If you can do kits, you can do extract brewing. Don't waste your money/time with kits.

Buy some DME or LME for base fermentables.

Steep some specialty grains, little amount, less than 1.5-1.0 lb per 5-gal batch, should not cost much.

Buy some hop pellets, usually not expensive either.

Buy a dry yeast, also usually cheap, ready to sprinkle over the wort, like safale S-04.

Bingo! Better beer, similarly priced or cheaper than kits. Brew strong!

Ah, serves me right for not reading the OP carefully enough. I've never even heard of the "wort in a box" kits before....I guess it is like homebrewing franzia?

It's actual wort at something like 1.080 gravity (in a big, heavy bag). The acidity level is set so it won't spoil, and you receive potassium bicarbonate which you add to bring it back to normal pH. Then add water and the yeast.

They are nicely hackable. You can buy the basic lager kit and instead of adding plain water, boil hops in it first and/or steep grains, swap yeast, etc. But they are expensive.

Back