Arduino and Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithy

Reaction score
So I have plans to build a system for monitoring my Brew Bench operations. What this means is temps for 3 kettles, pump on and off, temps relation to time and recording of this data (Software) and anything else that I can come up with in the future. I want to control and monitor all parameters with my Android phone or tablet via wireless connection. I am planning on using an Arduino micro-processor.

Does anybody reading this have any empirical knowledge of the Arduino micro-processors, thermocouples, Resistance Temperature Detectors, as well as controlling this all wirelessly?

I would like to know if you have done something along the lines that I have and how well it all works for you if you wouldn't mind giving your two cents.

Thanks in advance!

There are quite a few Arduino based systems out there that do some of these things, you should be able to review the code from those projects. The Brewtroller and BrewPi come to mind as having relevant code.

For the temperature sensors, you might want to look at the DS18B20 one-wire stuff. You can find some probes preassembled or make you own using the probe ends from a place like Brewers Hardware.

Do a search on Arduino and I think you'll find quite a number of projects.

Keep in mind that the adruino is a very straight forward and simple micro processor. For doing thing like web interface and interaction you're going to need something on top of it. A raspberry pi, or a computer of some type.

Depending on how much you're planning to control you may even be able to get away with a pi board on its own.

At first I was going to add gas solenoids for heat control and really go to town. As I used my Brew Bench it became really easy to use and consistent in the temp. I could walk away for 20 minutes and the temp only move half a degree. As time went on it became useless to add too many bells and whistles such as what a BCS controller or anything comparable could achieve.

I don't have any thermometers incorporated on my Brew Bench because I didn't know what direction to go with but I use a digital thermometer (singular) for all three kettles until this is defined. So, to simplify things and to have fun (I am a fabricator so must have fun with this. I don't buy things, I create!) by adding temp monitoring with the ability to record this with time as well as if temp does get away while I am out of the room I want to be notified with technology!

So I have plans to build a system for monitoring my Brew Bench operations. What this means is temps for 3 kettles, pump on and off, temps relation to time and recording of this data (Software) and anything else that I can come up with in the future. I want to control and monitor all parameters with my Android phone or tablet via wireless connection. I am planning on using an Arduino micro-processor.

Does anybody reading this have any empirical knowledge of the Arduino micro-processors, thermocouples, Resistance Temperature Detectors, as well as controlling this all wirelessly?

I would like to know if you have done something along the lines that I have and how well it all works for you if you wouldn't mind giving your two cents.

Thanks in advance!

Not specifically Arduino, but uses the Arduino IDE and Libraries:
TeensyNet and TeensyNet Web Pages.

I'll be posting more in the next few days.

Saw your post late this evening but will be checking this out. Look forward to you updates!

Keep in mind that the adruino is a very straight forward and simple micro processor. For doing thing like web interface and interaction you're going to need something on top of it. A raspberry pi, or a computer of some type.

I'm running both web client and web server libraries concurrently on my Arduino Mega and reading from one wire. Really no need for an rPi.

So I have an Arduino Yun on the way. Should be here early in the week.

Temp sensors... Can anyone guide me to a temp sensor that works well that does not require a cold junction compensate or an amplifier? Currently I am looking at the LM35 for temp sensing. BUT... I have never held one so I don't know the size of it. What ever becomes the sensing unit will need to fit into a thermowell. Also, a friend of mine mentioned that a LM35 would work well with a k type thermocoupler. CONFUSING at this time. Thought the LM35 is a stand alone sensing unit?

Temp sensors... Can anyone guide me to a temp sensor that works well that does not require a cold junction compensate or an amplifier? Currently I am looking at the LM35 for temp sensing. BUT... I have never held one so I don't know the size of it. What ever becomes the sensing unit will need to fit into a thermowell. Also, a friend of mine mentioned that a LM35 would work well with a k type thermocoupler. CONFUSING at this time. Thought the LM35 is a stand alone sensing unit?

I would probably go with the one-wire DS18B20 temperature sensors. I use them in a number of projects (brewing and non-brewing) and they work pretty well. There is plenty of Arduino code out there for them.

You can find them all over, OSCSYS sells them in a stainless probe with a cable or you can roll your own with individual parts.

https://www.oscsys.com/store/sensors

Brewers Hardware also sells the pieces and has a number of ways to mount them with compression fittings, thermowells, etc.

https://www.brewershardware.com/Temperature-Probe-Ends/

Adafruit (http://www.adafruit.com/) has lots of great stuff too. You can find lots of specialty shields and the software to support them there. I'm using their sous vide project as a basis to learn how to create my own temp controller. I'm learning a ton from the process and hope to do more ambitious things in the future.

Good recommendations and information thank you! I think I have some LM35's at work I can play with. Think I am going to obtain a few different types of temp sensors and see what happens for me. Empirical knowledge is what I seek and guidance is always helpful.

Will post my experiences...

DS18B20+ is easiest for Arduino because the analogue to digital conversion is already done for you. Also the 1 wire network is simple to set up and use and works over relatively long distances with no problems.

So, after the first attempt setting up the wifi on the Yun I bought proved that I had a faulty microprocessor the replacement arrived yesterday! Set up was a breeze as it was supposed to be. So now that is working I can continue down this path.

I have acquired some DS18B20's and LM35's from SparkFun. Makes it easy that they are so close to me. I also have some K type thermocouples that I brought home from work.

So since I am up and rolling I can now play around. I have a thermometer that is .3 degrees +/- so that will help out calibration in this project...

I don't reccomend to use a thermocouple. It requires precision analog part, cold contact thermocompensation etc. Of couse it's doable but it much simpler to use DS18B20 or NTC sensor.

I don't reccomend to use a thermocouple. It requires precision analog part, cold contact thermocompensation etc. Of couse it's doable but it much simpler to use DS18B20 or NTC sensor.

FYI, MaximIntegrated has just come out with the MAX31850, that addresses the above, and uses the same 1-wire protocol. Adafruit already has a breakout board and arduino libraries.

I've already integrated the device into my TeensyNet project

FYI, MaximIntegrated has just come out with the MAX31850, that addresses the above, and uses the same 1-wire protocol. Adafruit already has a breakout board and arduino libraries.

I've already integrated the device into my TeensyNet project

MMmmmmm 1-Wire thermocouples.... Finally! Just need to wait for the price of these to go down a bit before implementing too many of them.

So, for those new to micro-processors... as I test temp sensors on a UNO I have got good results using a TMP36 and simple code (Will post the code I am using later for anyone interested). I was testing using 3 temp sensors at the same time. Will be testing DS18B20s next. The TMP 36s were all within 1 degree F.

To use thermocouples, I did find an easy cold contact compensator that is small. I will be testing that out later when I get to the thermocouples. I was going to ignore the thermocouples because of the compensation but since I found this new one I will try them. Ultimately I want to use thermocouples because I use them at work extensively and they are simple. However, it's fun making sensors from stainless and electrical components.

Will be posting more later. Thanks to those with their input thus far!

So... currently I am soldering wires to the end of my TMP36s and making up the thermowells to take this one step further. I haven't posted the code yet because I have three versions and forgot which one is working well. I will post the code I am using as well as the temperature sensors that I have made in detail from start to finish. Pictures to show detail step by step for those new to stuff like this...

The LM35 is a very nice and handy sensor. It needs 3 wires, 2 for powersupply and one for the output signal. It outputs 10 milli Volt per degree Celsius. If you use a 10 bit AD converter you will have readings of 0.1 degree C. I like these more then the Dallas 18B20, because you can read out the temperature so much faster/more often. This gives you the possibilty to do some averaging to get better/stable results.

It is usually supplied in a standard TO-92 small transistor casing that fits easily in a 6 mm tube.

Latest posts

Back