Arctic Alchemy..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta say I've been a big fan of several of your threads, the brewhouse, the mug club, now this!? Awesome.

Good luck, I can't wait to see the movie.

Sounds cool, are you going to also re-create one of their journeys at sea? I think it will be great when you can share the recipe. I'm not a huge fan of Midas Touch but the story behind the beer is cool, and the fact that Dogfish Head released the recipe is a great boon for those who love to make historical brews.

Sounds cool, are you going to also re-create one of their journeys at sea? I think it will be great when you can share the recipe. I'm not a huge fan of Midas Touch but the story behind the beer is cool, and the fact that Dogfish Head released the recipe is a great boon for those who love to make historical brews.

Actually this was done already( the ship journey) , my pal Pete Brown did this for his book "Hops and Glory "

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/drink/Interview-Pete-Brown--Intrepid.5531202.jp

I will release the recipe , it took me over two years to find it and I can't just post it before my film ... sorry . ( I will tease you to say it's a crazy beer, you would never have thought in 1852 )

I met with Sam C. a couple of weeks ago to talk about my beer and Midas came up in the coversation several times, it's a really cool story in itself.

That is a great write-up in Forbes. Where can one get the t-shirts they mentioned in that article?

Another question: How do you intend to get all your brewing equipment up there if you are only riding bikes?

That is a great write-up in Forbes. Where can one get the t-shirts they mentioned in that article?

Another question: How do you intend to get all your brewing equipment up there if you are only riding bikes?

I think you have to donate to get the shirt.

As for the equipment, they are going to have support vehicles carry that.

I have a free subscription to Forbes for some reason. This month's issue I was about to throw into the recycle as nothing on the cover really seemed interesting but decided I'd flip through the Table of Contents first and the picture of your kettles made me do a double take.

Pretty good article and cool to see some online content as well.

Thanks all ,
We have a large fanbase in Alaska, I am working on ideas for the next film already,either Germany or Alaska and the Yukon.

awesome story, awesome idea.

Can/will you post the recipe?

Can/will you enter the beer in contests? Or sell off bottles?

awesome story, awesome idea.

Can/will you post the recipe?

Can/will you enter the beer in contests? Or sell off bottles?

Thanks for the props !

I will post the recipe at some point but probably after I make the film , must leave some details to make a good story with it :)

I will enter some of the beer I brewed into a few contests, but it's a old style that would most likely go into either Barleywine or Old ale catagories.

My sponsorships include The Fegley's Brewworks and Rock Bottom Breweries, the Brewworks have made it in PA(25oz for sale at their locations ) , but Rock Bottom will probably work off the idea in other areas of the country too.

Alright!

Sooo, what are you using for fermenters? Is the yeast pitched? I'm waiting for Paul Harvey's "and now, for the rest of the story..."

Can't wait for the documentary.

I used two 42 gallon Blichman's , mounted in our trailer and designed a 12 volt glycol chiller system that ran off the Land Rover battery during travel , while trickle charging a deep cell marine battery for over-night , even the PID's were 12 volt . The chiller system was flawless, the ale was kept at 63 degrees the whole return trip, I need to share this in the equipment section of HBT.

It was interesting passing thru Canadian and US customs , on a motorcycle , and two support trucks pulling a mobile brewery. Canada customs guys where amazed by the system and applauded the efforts. US customs detained us for nearly 2 hours ( beer was fermenting at the time , and a team of 5 inspectors wearing HAZmat gloves were puzzeled as to why I was doing this. nonetheless they let me pass into the US without too much grief. The yeast I pitched was created for me by Wyeast , cell counted and hearty, the guy's at Wyeast are awesome !, Hops Direct donated all the hops too...two great companies.

I used two 42 gallon Blichman's , mounted in our trailer and designed a 12 volt glycol chiller system that ran off the Land Rover battery during travel , while trickle charging a deep cell marine battery for over-night , even the PID's were 12 volt . The chiller system was flawless, the ale was kept at 63 degrees the whole return trip, I need to share this in the equipment section of HBT.

It was interesting passing thru Canadian and US customs , on a motorcycle , and two support trucks pulling a mobile brewery. Canada customs guys where amazed by the system and applauded the efforts. US customs detained us for nearly 2 hours ( beer was fermenting at the time , and a team of 5 inspectors wearing HAZmat gloves were puzzeled as to why I was doing this. nonetheless they let me pass into the US without too much grief. The yeast I pitched was created for me by Wyeast , cell counted and hearty, the guy's at Wyeast are awesome !, Hops Direct donated all the hops too...two great companies.

Right on! We need pics of this trailer!

Sooooo
How did it all turn out?

Great story and an awesome journey. When does the DVD hit stores?

Very pleased to announce that "Arctic Alchemy Ale" has won a medal at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver, Colorado. From an obscure mid-19th century beer in England, to the arctic in Canada , all the way to the American national stage, not much could be finer !

This is my second GABF medal in 4 years, really helpful to my film project as I work to finish the post production phase .

Looking at the Zymergy link confirmed my suspicions. It's a big Burton ale,an English barley wine. From what I've scraped together,I've started the brew kettle for one about 45 minutes ago. I've done some research here & there over the last couple of months. Then I stumble onto your incredible story. Very cool. Also,Burton salts are available @ midwestsupplies.com. It conditions the brewing water to emulate that in Burton-on-Trent. I'd love to make some comparisons when they're ready. I think it was revvy that got me started on my own Burton quest. Glad things are working out so well with this adventure. Nick Cage has nothing on you!!

I realize this thread is quite old, but I've been doing quite a bit of searching, and cannot find where, if ever, Chris might have published the recipe, as he stated that he likely would. Anyone know, or would be kind enough to provide a link?

So, I wonder if any of the famed Allsop's beer was on this earlier ill-fated expedition. Ships finally found in Canadian north, lost during the various expeditions to find a northwest passage. BTW, if anyone is interested in the story of the quest for the northwest passage, I recommend this book. I have the hardback, and it's full of great pictures!

Franklin ship discovery solves 'one of Canada's great mysteries'

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw on the news back then that they analyzed samples from the bottles & found some stuff out about the yeast used & what style it likely was. But they didn't say much beyond that? I have my Burton #3 AE recipe posted. Easy place to start. Here's a pic of the finished beer from that point;

Back