Aquarium heater to maintain temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDesquire

Reaction score
I'm in the process of trying to renovate my brew set up to keep all my brewing activities contained in my garage. In this regard, space is not an issue but maintaining a constant temperature for fermentation is. I've got a full size refrigerator and kegerator in the garage, so if and when I decide to start lagering I'm set. In the meantime, however, I'm looking into creative solutions to maintain the slightly higher constant temp that an ale will need.

My idea right now is: my neighbor gave me an old heavy duty plastic basin about the size of a small bath tub which would comfortably fit 3 carboys (5 or 6 gal size). I'm toying with the idea of fermenting in carboys in the basin by filling the basin with water (sufficient to nearly cover the carboy), mounting an aquarium heater in the basin to maintain the temp (and affixing a digital thermoset), and covering the basin with a heavy blanket (to keep out sunlight and help maintain temp).

My questions: has anyone done something similar and, if so, how did it work out? Does anyone foresee any problems with this set up? Have any suggestions, either to improve the set up or go another way? Any idea how high my electric bill is going to skyrocket if I have a 300 watt or 500 watt aquarium heater hooked up 24/7 for 3-4 weeks at a time?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

If you already have a fridge, it's pretty easy to add a small heater to that so you can pretty easily set whatever fermentation temp you want. I'd do that over using a water bath if you have the space.

Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch using an Ouija board

I have been thinking of doing the same thing. A co-worker sold me an aquarium heater to use. I haven't done it yet but i wouldn't expect the power bill to sky rocket. people use these everyday on their own fish aquarium and I have never heard someone complain about the power bill. Keeping their fish alive maybe, but not the power bill. :mug::mug:

I keep two tubs with two heaters and four buckets running in my basement, which is ambient around a steady 53F. It works well, even though I'm still using the inbuilt thermostats and eyeballing the dial to get to my temps. The more water you can use, the better, because it buffers the heat dramatically (both against ambient shifts and fermentation heat). I don't insulate or cover, I just top up the water and add a splash of bleach about once a week to keep it sanitary. I'm told water will wreck fermometers, so keep that in mind.

I was thinking about it today due to another thread on this topic, and I'm going to move my heaters to the bottom of the tubs to get some convection currents going, because the one issue I have found is that the water at the bottom is about 7F cooler than the water at the top, due to some combination of convection and conduction to the ground I suppose. I'm also getting an aquarium pump for wort chilling at some point, so I may use that on an outlet timer to circulate if that's not enough. The inconsistency doesn't seem to harm the beer because it's consistent "horizontally" in the tub, but it makes it hard to get a temp because you have to get your probe depth the same every time. The beer temp seems reasonably consistent throughout, though I imagine the cake itself is getting chilled slightly once the yeast settles out.

Thanks for all the great info! I have ordered a couple 300 watt aquarium heaters, a pump and a cheap electric thermometer. Hopefully will have them in week or so and be ready to brew! Once set up I will take pic and post.

This winter my garage temps got down pretty low (probably in the 30 degrees F), and the container I'm planning on using is pretty large (I figure start with one carboy but this has the space to expand to fit 3 or 4) so, rather than getting a 50 watt or 150 watt, I got the 2 300 watt b/c thought I may need the extra wattage (only plan on hooking up the 1 initially and saving the other as a back up or in case need some more heat if gets extra cold).

I'm wondering if the fact that I use a BetterBottle may be a problem for this setup though ... Ever since I shattered my first glass carboy I'm done with glass carboys, but am concerned about the effect on the BetterBottle and fermenting beer inside that 3+ weeks in a heated water bath will have. Especially considering I was told I should be putting a capful or so of bleach every week or so in the water to keep everything sanitized.

Will the BetterBottle or bleach be a problem?

You're fine. I use HDPE, BetterBottle is PET, which is arguably more neutral. You're talking about 60-80F temps so heat's not really a factor. Use like a capful of bleach though, you don't need more to keep your water sanitary or you'll probably ruin your clothes next time you adjust something. You don't need sterile water, you just need to keep it from getting filthy (like mine just got the other day when my hefe got aggressive).

I use a similar setup indoors with good results (on a smaller scale). In my rig with a single small heater, an aquarium pump is pretty important in getting an even temperature around the whole water bath. You don't need a lot of water movement, just a little circulation to increase convection. To keep the water clean-ish, I just add a little Star San. It hasn't had any noticeable effect on my Better Bottle yet...

(BTW, I usually run the water level higher than the picture...)

photo(1).JPG

Not a big deal probably (especially if you don't let it get too old without a change) but diluted star san probably won't do much of anything, since I gather it works by lowering pH. Unless it can still work as a surfactant at that dilution and that kills germs too? I don't know.

I understand a hesitation to use bleach near beer, though--if I use a splash too much I sometimes do a double take when I'm fermenter-sniffing. But it should be safe in your "bath water".

If you have two heaters I would run them both IMO. Most people I know (me included) run two heaters in our fish tanks for a few reasons. First is to always have a back up in case one fails, and second because two work more efficiently then one working constantly to maintain temp. I would put one at each end of your tub and a small pump at one end to help with circulation. I think your setup will work great and you might not even need to cover it, except for maybe in those really cold winter days.
good luck and happy brewing!

My concern would be that you have a solution for the winter, but not one for the summer (not knowing for sure the weather where you live). My garage was far colder than 30 all winter, but gets over 100 in the summer. Even in the spring temps will sometimes in the same day be where you need cooling and other times where heating is necessary.

This winter my garage temps got down pretty low (probably in the 30 degrees F), and the container I'm planning on using is pretty large (I figure start with one carboy but this has the space to expand to fit 3 or 4) so, rather than getting a 50 watt or 150 watt, I got the 2 300 watt b/c thought I may need the extra wattage (only plan on hooking up the 1 initially and saving the other as a back up or in case need some more heat if gets extra cold).

JDesquire........If you know what you are gonna use as far as size goes I think I would run down to the local hardware store grab some wood and insulation and build a insulated box. It would be great for all seasons. Plus during summer you wouldn't have to worry about any mosquitos or bugs or whatever. Just a thought. Heck you could even cut up a few bails of hay for cheap and have great insulation. Shredded newspaper old junk mail or whatever. As far as keeping the water clean grab a cheap powerhead and throw some salt in the water just to help Theres a thousand ways anybody can achieve a lot of things just personel preference and past experinces.....As long as it gets achieved and the surrounding are safe then its done right in my book. And to everyone else I appreciate reading what you all took the time to write.....

Latest posts

Back