Apricot Citrus Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkw87

Reaction score
Well SWMBO has been bugging me to brew for over a month now (go figure), and I finally got around to it. I used up some ingredients I had laying around, and I know using sugar is bad but I didn't have any DME so I used brown sugar. The recipe below is partial mash because I wanted to use up my 6-row and flaked oats.

0.75 lb 6-Row
1 lb Flaked Wheat

These were steeped at 155 degrees F for about 30 minutes in a grain bag, then I put them into 170 degree water as my poor-boy-PM sparge water. This was all combined with the following and boiled:

4 lb Wheat LME
1/2 cup Honey
1 lb Dark Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Golding Hops

After boiling I added it to the fermenting bucket which had 4 oz of apricot flavoring and 1 orange rind. I'm hoping that it will turn out alright, so far everything else I have made has been good but this is my first thrown together recipe, so we will see.

The OG was 1.055, so I could have used less brown sugar. The sample I took tasted great. I will post back in a week or two to update.

This beer turned out to be my favorite brew so far. A lot of my friends who drink BMC and don't care much for homebrew loved this beer. I was hoping it would be comparable to Magic Hat #9 so I bought a pack and did some comparing and it turns out that everyone liked mine better than Magic Hat.

Hey would you mind letting me know what SWMBO stands for by any chance? I'm a newbie lol. Thanks!

I used the yeast that came with my wheat LME (it was one of those liquid LME beer kits you can get cheap, I often buy them and add other ME or honey or brown sugar to boost me up to enough fermentables for a 5 gallon batch....I'm cheap but I haven't made a bad brew yet).

I know a lot of people would NEVER EVER use the yeast that comes with LME cans, I mean how long did it sit in the LHBS? What kind is it anyways? Well I have used that yeast multiple times and never had any troubles, and I am not a fan of liquid yeast anyways, so I usually just use it unless I know it's really really old, then I might pick up a fresh one from my LHBS.

SWMBO is She Who Must Be Obeyed.....my wife :)

Back