apricot ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themashedone

Reaction score
Im planning a apricot ale and im using extract. In the readers opinion what type of beer should i use. I was going to go with a honey weizen and use a can of the apricot puree in secondary. any words of wisdom.

If you're looking for apricot, look up a magic hat #9 clone recipe. Never made it myself, but it's a pretty good beer.

Generally you want something lighter that won't overpower the apricot flavor. To really have fun, look more towards the hop pairing and see if you can build a worthwhile body to the beer as well using a light amount of crystal or caramel malts.

I built a base for a fruit beer using a combination of pale malt for the base, with honey malt and crystal (around 75ºL) and hopped with Styrian Goldings B. I have yet to decide exactly what fruit I want to throw in it, but the base recipe itself almost tastes too good to throw fruit at it... but hey, if you want a damn good fruit beer, make it work with a damn good beer first... :)

If you're looking for apricot, look up a magic hat #9 clone recipe. Never made it myself, but it's a pretty good beer.

this! i made one once, it was one of my first beers and my fermentation temps got way too high :(
however, i'd use real apricots and not the extract... it feels like it is seperate from the beer which is unfortunate

austin home brew has a clone of it

Im planning a apricot ale and im using extract. In the readers opinion what type of beer should i use. I was going to go with a honey weizen and use a can of the apricot puree in secondary. any words of wisdom.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/dfh-aprihop-clone-i-need-some-opinions-my-recipe-239574/index3.html

Link to my topic on the DFH Apricot IPA Clone. I brewed it, it was and still is a delicious beer but the best advise I could offer, watch how much apricot you put into your beer. I used Oregon's 3lb can of puree, and it overpowered. I'd go between 1 or 2 lbs. It goes great in a wheat also, Pyramid has an Apricot Hefe that is a wonderful summer beer, I'm not sure if there is a clone recipe out there but honestly it wouldn't be too hard to brew something similar.

As for the DFH A IPA, here is my adjusted recipe, in case you're interested:

Grains & Fermentables:
3.3lbs Pilsner LME
5.0lbs Pilsner 2-row Belgium
1.0lbs Cara-pils/Dextrine
1.0lbs Munich Malt
.5lbs Crystal Malt (60L)

Mash:
151.0 F for 60min, 10qts water
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00%

Hop Schedule (60 min boil):
1.0 oz Amarillo [60 min]
.50 oz Simcoe [60 min]
.50 oz Amarillo [20 min]
.50 oz Simcoe [20 min]
1.0 oz Williamette [5 min]
1.0 oz Amarillo (or maybe Simcoe) [5 min]

Fermentation:
2min oxidation
1.0lbs Dextrose
Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II)

Secondary:
2 oz Amarillo
1 - 2 lbs Apricot puree (rack beer on top of)

Good luck! Apricot is a great flavor for a beer, just prepare for an orange tinted bucket if you use it in an ale pale :mug:

Just to throw another idea at you - an apricot ipa or pale ale could be wonderful as well.

thanks for the hints i think i just may use an IPA for this, Ive never tried that. the whole idea of using apricots was because i fell in love with pyramid's apricot ale. However I want to try something new so meeting adjourned.

A moderately hopped blonde ale might go well with the apricot purée.

I've mad the #9 clone. It was good after all the flavors settled down. Just be warned that the apricot is a really heavy flavor, if you don't tone it down with hops it will smack you in the face.

It took my #9 clone a solid month to mellow out and let the flavors mingle correctly. Before that time frame it tasted like an apricot syrup only thinner.

Latest posts

Back