Apple pie beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobydodge

Reaction score
So im new to brewing and should be receiving my first keg in a couple days. I ordered an american light recipe kit. My thoughts are ill add about a 1 cup of cinnamon and maybe a pound of frozen apples to the primary and just give it a taste before the secondary and decide what it needs. Any suggestions?

I would say forget it for the first few recipes and focus on getting your process and techniques down. Once you get your process dialed in, then you can experiment with beer you know will be solid. Also, is this extract? All-grain? Mr. Beer? Inquiring minds want to know!

Yea after laying down i thought maybe a quarter cup of cinnamon and a pound of apples. Its of five gallon batch from morebeer .com

I don't think I'd even use more than a tablespoon of cinnamon. It can get overpowering very quickly, especially in a light beer.

I am sure that others on this forum are not likely to agree with me but I think the key to any kind of fermentation (brewing or wine making) is to experiment. By experiment I mean making the same brew or wine or cider or mead using exactly the same ingredients and the same processes but modifying ONE variable at a time. If you have never made beer before it does not make a great deal of sense to me to tweak a recipe with the addition of some quantity of spices and fruit when you have no basis in knowing what the results are likely to be: How much flavor will a pound of "frozen apples" provide if the apples are sweet desert (eating) apples and the volume is 5 gallons? How much flavor will a 1/4 C (or even a teaspoon ) of cinnamon provide?
If you are not interested in experimenting (and making 5 gallon batches may not be an effective way to experiment (I make 1 gallon batches) then a good alternative is to look for a tried and tested recipe that includes cinnamon and apples. My guess is that there are dozens of recipes posted to Beersmith or this site or available at other sites and in journals and magazines devoted to brewing and wine making.

Those are all good replies. Most starting brewers are tempted to experiment. I've heard it referred to as going "Mad Scientist". I've done it. After a couple of simple extracts, I tried making my own recipes. They were drinkable, but not good. I went back to established recipes and worked on my process. Now I've received a couple of BJCP scores of "good" and "very good", each one point short of the next level: "very good" and "excellent". Friends and even strangers are telling me that my brews are better than commercial examples. But that took over 30 batches. So, while I admire your enthusiasm, I agree that you should wait to experiment. But, if you do, consult some proven recipes for ideas. And a teaspoon of cinnamon is probably enough. Do let us know what you do, and how it works out. None of this is criticism, it's encouragement. Welcome to brewing, and this forum.

Even a quarter cup of cinnamon is a ton. A couple of cinnamon sticks thrown into the boil will give a ton of cinnamon flavor. Much of the apple flavor will ferment out of the fruit, so consider throwing 3-5 pounds of chopped apples into the fermentor once fermentation has slowed down, or secondary on them.

Why not start with cinnamon in a cider? If you want apple + cinnamon "beer" would this not be a better starting point?

Thanks for all the replys guys! Its not for me haha my girlfriend has an obsession with apple beer and its all shell drink so I figured I'd give it a try! I'll keep everyone posted on what I try and how it comes out

I'd have to agree with those advising against it, but if it's what you want to do, BREW THAT BEER!

maybe brew that American light kit according to instructions. not the ones that came with the kit, they're probably crap, but ones you can find here on HBT. and also brew up a cider.

it can be as easy as adding yeast to apple juice. (no sorbates!)

then your experiment can be at what ratios to mix the two for your girlfriend.

Back