Apple juice sugar and yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roesn

Reaction score
I know it's nothing fancy but this is my first trial run of brewing hard cider. I did not get a OG but the FG is 0.991 after 2 weeks. Does that sound right? And what do you recommend I do next? From adding apple juice concentrate (or not), bottling now or later and for how long. I've read 6 months is a good bottling time minimum for better taste?

It's very strong now which is fine, but it needs a better taste. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390854383.340761.jpg

age it a few months and it gets mellower
how many months depends on the cider you made

I admit I use store bought apple juice myself a lot

I have a place about 60 miles from me where they grow apples, so I go there each fall and buy 5 gallons of first press cider and pitch yeast into that. Good stuff

good luck

Might want to try using a wine yeast, like Montrachet, instead of regular baking yeast. Then, I suggest looking up Edwort's Apfelwein.

I'm sorry but could you post a link to the thread? I searched and found a couple but they are a few years old and want to make sure I follow the correct recipe.

I have 1 gallon of apfelwein fermenting and two 5 gallon pails of grape wine fermenting!
Take a gander at my apfelwein:
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391055385.158949.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I have 1 gallon of apfelwein fermenting and two 5 gallon pails of grape wine fermenting!
Take a gander at my apfelwein:

you're fermenting in paint buckets? that seems like not a great idea. for one, they've had paint in them. for two, they're probably not food grade, i'm guessing.

Are there any chain stores that sell corn sugar? I can't find it anywhere locally. I've tried the farmers market. Any suggestions before I order it online?

Not sure on chain stores that sell corn sugar, I usually get mine from my LHBS. I definitely agree on trying a different yeast. I mostly brew beer, so I always have ale yeast like Notty or US-05 on hand and have used those to make many a delicious hard cider.

Just ordered the yeast for eds cider.ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391174527.591789.jpg

No LHBS near my city :/

What should I pay for dextrose? I don't know what it goes for. I found 2 pounds for 10$ shipping included. It's unfortunate I can't find it locally and have to order corn sugar TO the Midwest. :/

What should I pay for dextrose? I don't know what it goes for. I found 2 pounds for 10$ shipping included. It's unfortunate I can't find it locally and have to order corn sugar TO the Midwest. :/

Any health food stores around? That's where I found some (relatively) locally. Don't recall what I paid though but it was similar or less than getting it from beer supply store.

You can double your quantity for only $4.35 more by shopping on Amazon. $10 for 2lbs is a little steep. Look on Amazon for either Corn Sugar, Dextrose, or Priming Sugar. Not sure how much you want to buy and store. A quick search shows a number of different suppliers, one of them offering 10lbs for ~$22 including shipping. Brings it down to $2.20/lb which is well within the reasonable range. Another is offering 4lbs for $14.34 including shipping. I've paid as low as ~$1.75 by buying 10lbs, but as much as $3.75/lb ($14.99 for 4lbs)

Latest posts

Back