Apple juice question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kees

Reaction score
Today I had a cider making course run by professional cider makers in a local heirloom varieties orchard.
We were allowed to collect our own apples and the were milled for us.
These are the juice's specs: SG 1044, pH 3,0 and titratable acid 7 g/l.
We were told spontaneous malolactic fermentation will not occur under thes circumstances. We were advised to add sugar to raise ABV.

I am looking for reocmmendations re. low-pH-resistant malolactic bacteria to add.
Any other options to raise sugar concentration? I was thinking of addig sweet apple juice or pear juice rahter than sugar. How about that?

How strong do you want it? I don't bother adding any sugar. Using EC1118 yeast it gets down close to 1.000 from 1.045 giving close to 6%.

We won't be adding yeast, let the wild yeasts do the work. Our teacher told us that you usually get a lower ABV because some sugar will be converted into different molecules than alcohol and CO2. he reckons it will be approx 4,8%

That's a good one. I'll see whether that is possible. ATM the juice is in climate-conditioned room in the orchard organizing the course.

More than a week later no activity in the waterlock yet. Should we add yeast now or give it some more time? Would adding yeast help to prevent formation of off-flavours?

Your fermenting vessel may not be sealed all the way, so that's why no airlock activity? Pull a sample and take a gravity reading before doing anything.

Also, can you clarify the timeline? You pressed the apples on the 16th it looks like but I think didn’t take home the juice right away? When did you put it in the ferment or with the airlock?

We pressed the juice 16th, the teachers, who are professional cider makers, put it in a brewing vessel in a climate-controlled room. Not sure what the temparature is there but they told us the climate control wasn't working well. So I guess it won't be much lower than the open air i.e. at least 10 ⁰C.

I was asking because it’s possible most of the fermenting happened before you had it under airlock? Unlikely but wasn’t sure.

I agree with @madscientist451 above - Take a sample and see what is going on first. If you don’t have a hydrometer to take a specific gravity, just give it a taste. Is it still sweet, indicating that the sugar hasn’t been fermented away? If so (or if measured SG is still high) then I personally would try adding yeast. I used a champagne yeast in some juice that had a starting gravity of 1.040 and it fermented quite happily.

Back