Apple juice from 1.045 to 1.00

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jokester

Reaction score
I fermented those little packs of AJ because we got a bunch of em. I've fermented AJ before, nothing new.
It was 1.045 and in 5 weeks went to 1.00.
It also turned clear with nice tight yeast cake on the bottom.
Poured it off clean and it read right at 1.00.

I used a moonshine yeast that was carried over from an earlier batch of something else. Not a very drinkable yeast without waiting it out a few weeks atleast, which plays well with my idea of - let it ferment and forget it, I got so much I started last year I cant drink it all and still maintain a life. So essentially I am stocked up for the year. Or I put a bit of lemon and sucralose in the John Daly tea I've been drinking after fermenting it dry for nearly 3-4 months after having to overwhelm the K sorb etc etc. Still have 5 gal in the fermenter and 5 gal in the fridge in the other house.

Mr Good beer says 6.8 gm carbs in my cider - basically sugars I presume. Why did my yeast not eat it all ?

I've fermented beer with amg added to .990 and in fact I have a 5 gal batch I did with PBR black label that is ready. I thought it would go to full dry about .991 - I started the next batch, I can let it sit another 3 weeks or add more yeast. I'm just not sure which way to go.

Most apple juice will go to .990 or so with wine yeast. I'm not sure why this didn't. Still, 1.000 is pretty dry with very little (almost no) residual sugar.
What do you mean you "poured it off"? Remember after fermentation you want to siphon without any splashing, to avoid oxidation and off flavor.

This was in a 2l plastic bottle, I was able to decant it and leave that tight yeast cake intact. It really was pretty remarkable even for how well I do these types of pour offs.

Back