Apple juice cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6footbrewery

Reaction score
So I'm making hard cider. I just got the juice from the store. It's 100% juice! All I did was add about 1.5 cups of sugar and pitched. It's one gallon if apple juice. It taste great by its self. The og was 1.060. I'm going to let it go till fermentation stops, rack to clear a little then bottle. Should I carb it? Should I add anything else to it?
I'm thinking about 40-50 days till I bottle. What do you think? I'm not looking for award winning just something fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It will be absolutely amazing and somewhat tart. Mine just ended at 1.000 in just 2 weeks using Lallemands champagne yeast. I am kegging it this weekend still. No carbonation...

6foot, pretty much what I did on my first attempt, I didn't add any sugar and just added champagne yeast. It was bottled in 2 weeks and drinkable after 2 weeks (I added some sugar to carbonate in the bottles). 42 bottles nearly all gone in 2 weeks :)

2nd attempt I've added more sugar and some honey along with some ginger just in a 1 gallon demijohn to see how that turns out. If good, I will do 5 gallons.

It will be absolutely amazing and somewhat tart. Mine just ended at 1.000 in just 2 weeks using Lallemands champagne yeast. I am kegging it this weekend still. No carbonation...

Well that's good news. My wife told me "haven't you done this twice before and you dumped it both times". I told her yes. But I demand to make something good. I have made great beers over the years it's just my cider that is not up to par. So I'm hoping this turns out good. Sounds like it will. Just will cloudy due to the apple juice being unfiltered.

Ok so a few days in and it smells amazing! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1400541124.996151.jpg

If you add pectic enzyme unfiltered apple juice will clear although in fact if you are wiling to wait long enough it may clear by itself. Alternatively you might add Bentonite, but there is no good reason why unfiltered AJ should not be clear when you bottle unless you are looking for a cloudy cider..

If you add pectic enzyme unfiltered apple juice will clear although in fact if you are wiling to wait long enough it may clear by itself. Alternatively you might add Bentonite, but there is no good reason why unfiltered AJ should not be clear when you bottle unless you are looking for a cloudy cider..

I'd like it be a little clearer. Maybe I'll do this. Cold crush might be the first step just to see what happens. I have to get that yeast to the bottom to rack to secondary. At this point it's an experiment. What do you guys think I should do? Can I use Pectic enzyme in beer?

Back