Apple cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrobbie

Reaction score
I have juiced about 30 gallons of apple juice added some yeast an let sit in carboys. Now I haven't bottled them they have been sitting for about 3 months now and I am wondering if it's going to turn into vinegar on me or wine or can I still bottle it and it will still be cider

Depending on your ABV it might still be a bit young. I would rack and get it off the lees if you haven't already. Taste and see if you like what it taste like. A lot of people say that cider should sit 6 months to a year before drinking.

Chances of becoming vinegar are low unless you get a contamination. If they are sealed (airlock) then you ave nothing to worry about. Wine is made from grapes. Cider is made from Apples. Still going to be cider no matter what container it is in.

the great transformation to vinegar requires oxygen; if they are sitting in closed carboys where they fermented they won't go to vinegar, there's no oxygen left in there. you can leave them to age further in the carboys or bottle, should be good! if you are paranoid you can add a tiny bit of sulfite (same as with wine) when racking or bottling to protect against oxidation

Back