Apple Brown - Hop choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrcrock

Reaction score
Hi, i am starting an Apple Brown Ale and was curious about what hops to use when and how much. I'm still pretty new to brewing and am not sure the differences between most hops, just what typically goes with which brew. The hops i have available are Cascade, mt. Hood, Fuggles, and Williamette. I was thinking about using about 1oz of Cascade for the bitter and dry hopping with 1 oz of Cascade in secondary to help bring out the crisp fruit flavor of the apples. In between i'm not too sure which to do next. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

I'm with you. I have no idea as to what flavors various yeasts and hops add. I just figure that is part of experimenting. As I try them I will figure out how they taste.

I would opt for any of your other choices rather than the cascade. I think the citrus flavor would run over the apple. I'd keep the IBU on the low side to showcase the apple, avoiding much if any late additions. Haven't done an apple ale, just offering my 2 cents.

Back