Apple berry jack idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeneDaniels1963

Reaction score
I've been browsing the forum reading about making applejack. Sounds pretty straight forward. I have an idea that I want to run by everyone for input.

Start with 1 gal batch of cider. Real simple.

Juice + 2 cans FAJC + Nottingham yeast
Let ferment to finish.
cold crash and rack
add 1 cup mixed berry juice.
freeze distill as normal.

I am thinking that the jacking will take the ABV too high for the yeast to restart fermentation.

What do you think?

Few things to consider:

Nottingham has spec'd ABV tolerance of 14% (real world as ya know can be +/- that) -- so ya wanna be at 15%-ish plus post jacking to be safe.

When I Jack my ciders I tend to get approx 1/3rd gal yield from 1gal -- given I'm sure I don't get All the alcohol I use a conservative 2.5x multiplier for the ABV...pre to post Jacking.

If ya add the 1C mixed berry pre-Jack you will dilute the pre-Jack ABV & probably won't get 100% of berry outta the thaw -- if ya add it post-Jack you're certain to get All the berry goodness & your pre-Jack ABV and therefore post-Jack ABV will both be higher.

Good luck & keep us posted [emoji16]

Cheers [emoji111]

Brilliant idea both of you. I will add the juice post jack. Not sure when I will have time to start this, but hopefully in the next week or so.

Thanks for your help!

Back