Apple Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustaine34

Reaction score
Since Apples are in season now, a buddy and I are thinking of brewing an Apple Ale (pale/amber). I am trying to get some input on how to use the apples as we dont want to use juice, we are looking to use fresh apples. Should we cut them up and steep with specialty grain? throw them in the boil? secondary only? What say you?

I would assume that to get the most flavor out of them, grinding or pureeing them would be best. If you don't want the cooked apple taste, maybe add them at flame-out so it pasteurizes them. If you're feeling lucky you can add them to the primary after the wort is cooked. Having said this, I've never tried anything like it... :D

I am new to home brewing, but thought I'd chime in anyway.

I would think using apples would be like using other fruits. Use Granny Smith apples. They are tart enough and would stand up to the process of brewing. I think mashing (to grate not to cook) and putting them in the fermenter would be the way to go. You might still have to add some apple flavoring prior to bottling, because apple flavor might get lost in the hop flavor.

Just my $0.02
Sean

If you add them to the mash you will likely lose alot of the apple flavor & aroma during the boil and also during initial fermentation. If it were me, I'd probably peel and decore the apples then puree or cut them into little pieces, soak them in enough vodka (overnight) to just barely cover the apple, then dump the whole vodka-apple mixture into the secondary. I've never done this so take my advice w/ a grain of salt, just offering my opinion based on things I've read and an experiment I did w/ a pumpkin pie ale.

In the alternative, you could try make a graff, sort of a cross between beer & cider: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/graff-malty-slightly-hopped-cider-117117/

EDIT: Also forgot to mention, just know that adding fruit to the secondary will likely result in a hazy beer since you'll be putting alot of unconverted starches and proteins directly in your beer. Above I mentioned the downside to adding apples to the mash, but the benefit is that you should get some conversion, then using irish moss (or whatever clarifier) in your boil would help to remove the proteins.

Back