Aplfelwein Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
I know lots of people have made this plenty of times on here. I have looked at Edworts recipe. I usually make small 2.5 gallon batches. I have Malto dextrin (8ounces ) here at home. And I got the yeast that Edworts recipe calls for. Is malto dextrine going to be the same as dextrose? or would it be pointless to make this with malto dextrine? And if so would 8ounces be o little for 2.5 gallons? what about 2 gallons?:fro:

The dextrose in the recipe is really there just to boost the alcohol content. Maltodextrin will not be the same as dextrose. Maltodextrin is an unfermentable sugar that is typically used to give body or 'mouth feel' to a beer. Well, i think it's actually 12% or so fermentable, but it will not give you the effect you want.

Some people have substituted regular table sugar, honey or brown sugar for the dextrose in the recipe. If you search through the Apfelwein thread (using the search feature) you should be able to find what other people have used.

I think if you didn't add any dextrose or other sugar to it, it would still turn out around 5 - 6 % abv, so adding it isn't essential, but is still nice to do.

Oh okay cool. I ended up using just your regular table sugar. Only added about 2 cups of it to a 1.5 gallon batch and pitched the yeast. which it is now fermenting. Hopefully this turns out alright. 1st attempt with the apfelwein

Back