Apfelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerChef17

Reaction score
So I have just recently started doing and have successfully made 2 beers from kits- an American Amber and an American Light. I also currently have a Dunkelwizen being bottled condition (from a kit as well). As we speak I am boiling a Pumpkin Ale from a recipe I found off line and all seems to be going well. So I figured I'd give a swing at trying my own recipe next and was just wondering people's thoughts on it. I want to make a Apfelwizen since I recently picked a whole boatload of Apples from the orchard.

8oz Red Wheat
4oz Honey Malt
6# Wheat DME
1oz German Perle Hops
Montrachet Yeast - 1 packet
5-10# fresh Apples

For procedures I would soak the grains in 3gal of water @155F for 1hr, then bring to a boil, add DME and stir until it begins to boil again. Finally Boil for 1hr, adding the hops 45m before the boil is terminated. Primary for 1 week, then rack to a secondary and add my apples at this point, then allow to sit for 2 weeks before bottling.

Does this seem like a viable recipe? Should I add the apples in the secondary or to the mash? or both?

Back